How many bikes do you own?

In order of ride time/frequency:
'19 Trek Crockett - as everyday outdoor bike/commuter - I hope to CX race this fall for the first time in a long time.

'11/'12? Lynskey Sportive - currently on the trainer, hasn’t been on the road in a long time since the 28s on there can’t handle my commute roads, should get it out more often for recreational and group rides, but group rides around here don’t fit with my household’s schedules…

'07 Raleigh RX 1.0 - repainted flat light gray with rack and fenders - pool and townie, rainy day commuter, (will strip down and set up tubeless as a finish-the-race pit bike if I race more than once or twice this fall)

'95 Trek 820 - bar and train lockup bike, townie if a backpack is enough

'13/'14 Rockhopper Comp - emergency commuter, obviously a hard-tail, but I can’t ride from the office or the house to any single track that requires this vs the CX bike… Won’t get any money out of it and for now I have the space to keep it around so no heavy incentive to get rid of it.

'06 Jamis Ventura (smidge too small) kept at my mother-in-law’s house (a three hour flight away) so I can get some rides in when we visit. This one is likely on the way out because I now have a travel bag for whichever of my better fitting/preferred bikes I want to bring, especially since US airlines stopped charging specialty fees for bikes.

Regularly use:
Road bike 2010ish Ridley Damocles
Commuting/Casual 2008ish Trek XO (used to be cross race bike)
Cross/General Off Road 2015ish Ridley X-Night
Trainer Bike 2005ish Cannondale CAADsomething (used to be prime road bike)

Don’t use:
2009ish Trek Al 29er (did a bit of MTB racing/riding on it but don’t have time to get to trails these days and when I do ride cross bike)
Cervelo Al TT Bike (I used to be pretty into TTing but no time and fitness now)
SS/Track I commuted on it for a few years and set it up for track and went once

Obviously this shows I like a variety of riding and when I buy a bike I keep it for a while. Even if I were to start over with money as no object I would be thoughtful about the number of bikes I bought. I wouldn’t want to be wasteful even if I was tempted by every different variation.

1 Like

Skip the aluminum, the cost to repair a carbon bike is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing an entire aluminum frame. I had a chain stay fixed on my mountain bike for less than $300.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! My idea was more of replacing than repairing, but I see your point.

4 primary bikes + an extra old one that I just cruise around on with with my kids.

BMC Roadmachine: A really nice bike but I’m 100% gravel and MTB these days so this one is always on the trainer and thus gets ridden the most. Just never outside.

Specialized Diverge and Specialized Epic Evo: I basically split all my outdoor rides up between these two bikes. If I’ve got a gravel race coming up I spend more time on the Diverge. If a MTB race is next in the calendar then I’m out on the Epic more often.

Felt FX1: Dedicated CX bike that I built up myself as a pandemic project. Mostly just use it in races but do ride it outside a bunch leading up to CX season to work on drills.

2 Likes

Road: Venge
CX/Gravel/Winter: Crux
MTB: Spark

1 Like

I own two bicycles. One is for my house, and the second is from an Australian structural engineering firm. It is used only for company purposes.

1 Like

Man, I seem to be on the high side with 8! I use them all, but like many have stated, it’s seasonal in terms of which ones are in the rotation at a given time.

For end of winter / early spring, with melting salty roads, I use my 15 year old steel beater with fenders. This bike gets about 10 - 15 rides per year, but in the crappiest conditions no other bike should be subjected to.

Once the roads are clean, my main bike - custom steel fat tire road bike sees most of the action. For fast group rides on pavement, I also use a pure aero road setup - it’s just faster for less effort.

When the trails are dry, my FS mtn bike, monster cx bike and cx bike get out in the rotation. The monster cross bike is used for fast double track and cx bike is more of a gravel / light trail bike.

The winter months is all about my fatbike and perm trainer road bike. That’s 8!

2 Likes

Full list below, with most frequently used bikes in bold.

Indoor Trainer:

• 2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex, rebuilt with R6800

Road:

• 2018 Trek Emonda SLR 6 Disc
  • 2018 Trek Domane ALR Frameset, built with R7000

MTB:

• 2019 Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL, hardtail
  • 2019 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 29, full-suspension
  • 2014 Motobecane FB4, rigid fat tire
  • 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS, hardtail re-used for polo & misc play

Gravel:

• 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX Di2
  • 2015 Trek Boone Disc Frameset: Mixed R6800 + XT RD and 11-40 cassette

BMX:

• 2018 Specialized P.3, 26” wheel dirt jumper
  • 2022 Mongoose Title Elite 24”, converted to OS20 wheel racer
  • 2021 DK Sprinter Cruiser, stock 24” wheel racer
  • 2021 Jet BMX Accelerator Pro XL, stock 20” wheel racer
  • 1999 Haro Monocoque, 20" wheel racer

Triathlon:

• 2018 Specialized Shiv Expert

Trials:

• 2012 Echo Mark II 24"
  • 200? Onza 20”, modified beginner model

Ski Bike:

• 199? Specialized Rockhopper, stripped & converted to ski bike use

Unicycle:

• 19?? Schwinn 24”
8 Likes

@mcneese.chad what do you have a bike warehouse to store these in?! lol

1 Like

Main setup is about half the basement, with overflow in the garage attic.

20220205_155309

The trainer bikes are in the workout room.

16 Likes

Is that all? lol and here I am considering selling a road bike to get me down to 2 bikes.

4 Likes

I’m reminded of a piece of wisdom I was told about pet dogs:

One dog is too many, and a dozen aren’t enough.

:blush:

4 Likes

We have 4 dogs. My wife would say that’s not enough. More dogs than bikes :thinking:

1 Like

Am going to total mine later and see if I can give @mcneese.chad a run for the lead.

Suspect we both suffer from the same affliction of keeping bikes “forever” regardless of if they get ridden or not. They do add up over time!!

3 Likes

Just when I was pondering selling one or even two of my road bikes I am looking at this collection. Now I am thinking of getting rid of all the other stuff in the basement to make room for more bikes. My significant other will be pleased!

1 Like

Wow, that’s quite the collection. I so wish basements were a thing here in California.

In general I never have more than one of the same type of bike. Although at the moment I have a gravel and CX bike, not sure that’s needed but I like them both!

I typically sell them after 3ish years while the resale value is still pretty good and get something new. Keeps my stable nice and fresh.

2 Likes

Road - 2014 Cervelo S3
Commuter - 2015 Surly Crosscheck
Cyclocross - 2018 Specialized Crux
Track - 2017 Argon Electron Pro
TT - 2008 Cervelo P3C
Mountain - 2005 Trek hardtail something or other

Probably will donate the MTB. Thinking of selling the TT bike and possibly buying a new one. Not sure what to do with the track bike; my use for it (and the local market for track bikes) disappeared when the local track (Alpenrose) closed a couple years ago :sob:

The TT bike at least seems to have some non trivial value.

Ok I think I’ve got an accurate accounting here, looks like 9. I have not included other bikes in the household I maintain, though. There are 3 of those

———-

2008 On One Scandal rigid singlespeed, no longer in use. Loved it when I was younger. Too tough in my aging body to use anymore. Also don’t trust carbon fork or my old origin 8 mary clones & they WI freewheel is stuck to the hub, I can’t budge it

2013 Vassago Bandersnatch. Currently on the trainer. This replaced a carbon On One Lurcher frame I destroyed in a crash. It’s the first bike I did a 100 miler mtb race on. This frame would make a killer gravel bike with the crappy rockshox dual air fork. It’s long & stable. Still have SRAM X9 shifter & derailleur with a 10 speed road cassette on it

2013 Vassago Fisticuff gravel bike. Did my first 180k “gravel” event on this before gravel was a thing. SRAM 10 speed with TRP Spyre cable actuated disc brakes which blew away anything Avid was offering at the time. Currently loaned out to son in law

2014 Somafab Juice with 2014 Rockshox SID Currently set up with gears but spent most of its life as a singlespeed. I won’t ride this anymore, it’s spit me off & put me in the hospital twice. The fork sucks, rockshox should be ashamed but it’s got a carbon steerer tube. This is a loaner bike

2016 Specialized Fatboyb Comp. This bike is way faster than you’d think. I won 2 races on it :partying_face: Currently a loaner

2017 Trek Farley 9.7 Currently fat. Formerly 29x3 with Rockshox RS1. Probably the most versatile bike I own. Did my first Shenandoah Mountain 100 on it with the squishy fork & did a couple of 6 hour races rigid singlespeed

2020 Orbea Oiz M10 TR. My squishy comfy mtb. It’s ok. I wish it had a higher BB, was longer & a degree slacker. It’s ok though. Mostly do 3+ hour multi trail system joined by road type rides

2021 Turner Cyclosys gravel bike. Solid bike. Ti is probably more stout than I need, doesn’t have a lot of give to it. Not at all impressed with Shimano GRX though. Check that -could be shitty shifting due to SRAM 11-36 cassette. Need to try a SRAM chain or Shimano cassette

2022 Vassago Mooseknuckle singlespeed. Only have about 1000 miles on it but this is my favorite all time bike! Set up with a Rockshox RS1. Want to build some better wheels with Chris King rear hub & BTLOS i27 low profile rims

Future bikes:

I could see replacing the Orbea with an Ibis Exie, Spec Epic Evo or the Rocky Mountain Element but more likely the Exie or EE

Mooseknuckle SS could be replaced in a few years with a custom 44 Bikes Ti Marauder SS or a Funk LaRuta SS in ti (if I could get 2 bottles in the frame, otherwise not interested)

2 Likes

So all I need to do is buy another house and I can buy as many bikes as I want and those don’t count as long as I store them at the other house. :crazy_face:

5 Likes