Home Gyms instead of free weights

That’s a prudent approach. FWIW, I had a Bowflex many years ago and the exercises were just so restrictive in movement that it sat and ultimately it went. Free weights (kettlebells etc) really are the way to go and despite the misconception, by lifting isn’t going to make you “bulk up” like a bodybuilder. People work really hard to make those gains. The big advantage is you work all muscles in compound movements including all the little stabilizer muscles, which are the ones that tend to cause grief rather than the large ones.

Trust me, you’re not going to start lifting weights and wake up one day looking like Arnold by accident. Kind of like how someone isn’t going to ride their bike for 5 hours a week and end up beating Froome up Alpe d’Huez.

2 Likes

Sounds like the best way to go about it for sure. As others have said, lifting weights isn’t going to turn you into a bouncer. Body composition is 90% diet, you’ll only grow muscles if you feed them … a lot. I lift heavy (for me) at my home but since cycling is my primary focus, my body never have the calorie surplus to gain size. So I gain strength and definition, but not bulk. Good luck with the trainer.

I like to do a couple of months at the gym during the winter (starting next week) spent lifting weights (think bench press, squats, dead lifts, lunges, pull ups, etc.). Then I transition to using my TRX straps (I actually bought a knock off brand because I felt $100 for a set of straps was a bit pricey) which I have set up in my garage next to my trainer. I have four different full body workouts setup on an app on the phone (fit notes), generally try to get in 1-2 workouts per week. I think it does a LOT to keep up general strength, especially your core.

I love the hex bar dead lift. When I did conventional dead lifts I had a problem arcing my back to deal with the weight being in front of my center of gravity. The hex bar solves that problem.

1 Like

Best decision i ever made was to ditch the monthly gym membership and build my own garage gym. The up-front cost is a bit steep but it pays off in the first year depending on your membership dues.

I got one of these:

and then outfitted it with a good barbell, some bumper plates, some rings and a 30# med ball and box. Can do basically every major movement with it without issue. Have since added a landmine plug for the bumper plate and some bands.
Love just being able to roll out there and bang out a quick workout, turn the music up as loud as i want, and not have to wait for any pieces of equipment.

6 Likes

sounds like you should spend some time and focus on proper form. Moving to a hex bar isn’t going to address your form, and the chances of you lifting heavier with poor form and hurting yourself goes up exponentially when you don’t address the fundamentals.

I’d love to see pictures of people setups. I am traveling now but at home have:

Olympic barbell,
About 250lbs of bumper plates
Squat rack
Gymnastics Rings
Resistance bands (good for mobility, stretching, warmup, pull-up assistance for visitors)
35,45,62, lb kettlebells

I really love using the kettlebells and use the rings fairly often. Ring dips are fantastic for strength for mtb as they build strength and tons of stability.

Olympic barbell is so versatile though, especially for lifting heavy. Deadlifts, cleans, squats, and so much more. Investing in some coaching for the weightlifting was some of the best money I’ve spent so I think going that route is a good idea before just buying the equipment.

For what it’s worth, I have had back problems in the past too. I worry a lot about form, but I’ve found that doing deadlifts with good form and a challenging weight usually leaves my back feeling better than before, and over time as I have been consistent with deadlifts (and squats) I have been more comfortable, more able to maintain good posture, and overall less worried about my back.

I look at it like any other kind of training stress: some stress is good to disturb homeostasis and trigger supercompensation, while too much stress causes damage from which you can’t recover. Since my back problems were caused by my back being too weak for basic activities, maintaining homeostasis was not a recipe for healthy living, but at some point in the future it will be (and the degree of difficulty to disturb homeostasis will incur more risk).

On the other hand, early on in my back problems I started doing yoga, and would happily recommend it too. There is a yoga class and adaptations to the poses appropriate for just about everyone, with lots of opportunities to progress over time and do quite a lot to improve posture and ‘core’ strength in ways that will protect your back outside of practice.

Sure, you can see mine here: Let's see your paincave! - #4 by julianoliver. It’s a Rogue Power Rack with barbell, bumper plates, dip horns, landmine and row handle. I can’t do everything, but I can do 100% of what I need to.

Hello,

Clearly you haven’t been on Instagram and noticed the new fitness crazy! The gym isn’t that bad of a place. :smile:

Not sure how much space you have?

You can use a Smith Machine:

Or
Functional trainers such as Lifefitness

Competitor to Lifefitness

Precor:

Also, TechnoGym’s weird contraption (this is all over France and European Hotels)
https://www.technogym.com/us/functional-training/

IT is not my fave but it works and fits in a small space.

As others pointed out the racks have safety systems:
https://www.technogym.com/us/strength-training/

I don’t like TechnoGym per se, but their home training system isn’t bad. Compact and gets a lot of function in a small space.

If you we have convinced you to go with a rack with safety spotters, I would go with Rogue. I did after looking at all the options and having teenagers I didn’t want to get hurt. The downside, is the anchoring system limits where you can locate the rack.

I would look at getting a 3 way bench regardless of choice:

Kettlebells are splendid as well:

I go to the gym and use my home gym. So, I feel your pain on heading to the gym and dealing with knuckleheads. However, I am usually there for a couple hours during kids practices. Thus, have no choice. When they are not at practice, I prefer just to walk to my garage and get my lift on.

Good luck M8!

1 Like

Well got a home gym recently. Going to use the videos from technogym to see some extra exercices ideas once my HG has only a few on the instructions. Thanks for this post.

1 Like

Kettlebells
Kalisthenics
(s)Kip Rope

…alright that was poor delivery… doesn’t roll off the tongue as well as Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica

These 3 things can get you far ahead in your fitness…
Kettlebells have the great advantage of being ultra versatile and not taking up too much space and can be used for strength, strength endurance, and other (like bulletproofing joints).

Calisthenics have the great advantage of requiring close to no equipment (gym rings or pullup bar usually suffice, bonus points if you can do dips) and allow you to control your body better in space which can help you avoid injury. You can increase strength or increase endurance…and if you end up doing easier progressions ad naseum can really help prepare your joints for hard beating

Jump rope is great to help with bone density in a small space and generally is quite accessible $-wise and can provide great results, even more so than running with a smaller amount of time. Also helps preserve your bone density by providing some impact work while being somewhat less risky than running or other forms of high impact exercise. You can level that up too by getting weighted ropes.

I think these could be great alternatives for anyone considering getting a big home gym (2 years later!? lol)

I like the advice with bike. It’s really a safe bar :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I think that the smith machine ensures high intensity, good pace and safety of training. If you are a newbie, that simulator is for you