Help a mechanic neophyte updated with a new stupid question

The chain just won’t move onto the big ring, I know very little about bikes. The bloke who normally sorts my bike is on holiday and I really don’t want a week off it.

Charge the battery. :smile:

We need more info.
Was it working before, or did you change anything?
What happens when you shift, does it go a bit, but falls back, or does it not move at all?

Either your front derailluer cable needs more tension or your front derailluer got knocked out of alignment…if you have a barrel adjuster on your front shift cable try adding some tension. If that doesnt work make sure your front derailluer cages are parallel to the chainrings.

1 Like
1 Like

It was working until I’ve took off the wheel to change a tube, i have tried changing the tension (which is the limit of my knowledge) and it almost moves but its not far enough.

Can you move it far enough by hand? Just pull it out and see if it lines up properly. If not, or it looks wonky, it might have moved, maybe rotated a bit where its clamped on.

Once you’ve done those two, if you still have the issue, you should also have limit screws on top of the front that can adjust the travel limit of the derailleur itself. Loosen the outer screw (often labeled with an “H”) by a quarter to half turn at a time and see if that helps. Be aware that if you adjust it too far out you can throw your chain off the ring.

I want to use a spare wheel for the trainer but the casette is not the same as on my TT bike which is what I use on the trainer, is it as simple as just getting a new casette? What do I need to look out for?

How do you mean? If it’s the same speed (10/11– I think there’s some compatibility between Shimano and SRAM cassettes) it should be good to go without you purchasing a new one.

Please take into accout you are talking to an idiot

on my bike at the minute I have sram pg 1170 11 speed cassette / 11-28t do I just need to order exactly the same casette?

Someone has told me that you should only ride on one set of wheels per bike because the chain and the casette wear at the same speed, is this true, it doesn’t sound right because people have race wheels

Heh, don’t worry.

You don’t necessarily need another 11-28 for the spare cassette: if it’s only going to be used for indoor, you might want to look for an 11-23/25, so that the jumps between gears are smaller and you can fine-tune your shifts.

Does it matter the make?

Not necessarily, most of them are compatible (mainly compagnolo doesn’t work) But as you’ve got a sram one already, I would buy another one, but you could ‘downgrade’ in price. The 1130 (there might also be an 1110?) cassette will be cheaper than the 1170 and fit exactly the same.

Regarding chain and cassette wear - as long as neither of them on your bike right now are worn, you can easily use a new cassette. If the chain is worn, it’ll quickly damage a new cassette, and you’ll also likely have issues like gears slipping or jumping.

When SRAM entered the road groupset market in 2006, it decided to adopt Shimano’s specifications for its chains and cassettes. As a result, the chains and cassettes from the two brands have always been completely interchangeable for any given type of transmission (e.g. 11-speed). Buyers are free to use a SRAM chain and cassette with their Shimano groupset, and vice versa, just as a SRAM chain can be paired with a Shimano cassette, and vice versa.

That doesn’t mean that the mix will always please a rider. Shimano’s chains and cassettes are typically smoother and quieter than SRAM’s offerings, and durability can differ between the two brands as well as the different levels of components.