Heart rate monitors, how functional are wrist based monitors?

It was from the same ride. Recorded with two different hr monitors. Kickr was paired to tablet that uploaded chest hr data that was running TR. Garmin watch was paired to Kickr that uploaded with wrist hr data. All same ride. Which was what I was after to show my co-worker how close (ish) they were. He was questioning the wrist hr monitor accuracy.

1 Like

There is a huge difference in accuracy between vendors. Head over to DC Rainmaker for the definitive reviews. I have found his analysis of the Apple series 3 spot on. I had hoped a new WatchOS version would fix the initial flatline issue from his initial review, but that hasnā€™t been the case. I am mostly satisfied and think it is accurate, but wished I would have waited for the 4, which has a completely new sensor. Itā€™s worked great for nordic, mostly good for outdoor riding and is marginal for running.

Having it tight helps as does shaving wrist hair. Monitoring of resting HR overnight has been an unexpectedly good indicator to me of my fatigue levels vs. the mental games you play with yourself.

1 Like

Although Iā€™m not surprised st all the wrist is inaccurate and many echo that, Anyone have any explaination on why my wrist sensor was giving readings while attached to my handle bar? Does their algorithm try and predict HR when it canā€™t get a good reading? Why doesnā€™t it go - - when no reading is present?

Vibration can cause the watch to bounce, allowing external light to enter the sensor, and give erroneous readings - this applies whether the watch is on your wrist, or on a bar mount (which is why you can get a ā€œpulseā€ even when it is not on your wrist.).

That makes me want to put some black tape over the sensor to mask it entirely and try again with it on the bar.

I donā€™t buy the explanation, but I have no proof or evidence that you are wrong :joy:.

I have a mio fuse (an old unit) and I like it that it does both ant+ and bluetooth, and it works flawlessly indoors and even outdoors on long steady rides. In race scenarios, both CX and crits Iā€™ve done, itā€™s wonky for some reason and takes a while to normalize (starts off incredibly low). I have no idea why. I hide HR in races anyway, but I like to look at it after the fact so it annoys me that itā€™s so off.

Itā€™s off because a) the vibrations make it difficult for the sensor/software combo to tell what skin movement is caused by heart pulses vs vibrations, and b) the strain in the arm/wrist muscles plus the vibrations create openings in the sensor-skin interface, effectively throwing in interference.

chest straps or arm bands ftw.

arm readings i use when in a pinch or when my hr is not really of importance.

I am happy to have my MioLink insert (without a wristband) working on my thigh. Simply clamped under the bibshort and works absolutely trouble-free. No more stress with the wrist or chest strap. Device is a Garmin 530