Gravel Bikes for DK200

Again, it will depend on the type of terrain / gravel you want to ride, but I don’t think the benefit is worth the cost for suspension on a gravel bike. Even at DK, there is no need for it, IMO.

grinduro or something on the more technical side…maybe. But how representative of “gravel” is an event like that? Here in the midwest, there is nothing like that for us to ride.

Agreed. A gravel bike with some form of suspension is a lot more appealing than rigid, long and slack with a dropper.

The MCR is an intriguing bike. Too bad it has to weigh 25lbs.

1 Like

Hey that’s Lael Wilcox’s tour divide bike!

4 Likes

Woah, I wonder if they stole the idea from @Nate_Pearson :laughing:

Oh and she ran it with a Lauf fork for DXKL 2019, taking 1st for the women. She’s tough!

1 Like

That’s a bit more than my full suspension Niner RKT 9 RDO with 120mm SC fork. Surprising they couldn’t get the weight down further but leaves room for an improved 2.0 model…

My current gravel bike is a scott RC full suspension MTB. It’s under 24 lbs with 45mm gravel tires and a dropper post. I really love the full suspension and I can lock it out rigid for road or smooth sections. When everyone else is getting beat to hell hours into a gravel race, I’m in full sofa mode.

I’d like to try putting some drop bars on it, but it’s a very expensive experiment and I’m not sure how my dual lockout remote will mount and function (or my dropper remote). I could live without the dropper, but I use my lockout frequently in gravel races and the remote is certainly not designed for dropper bars.

The MCR is interesting and I think you’ll eventually see more gravel bikes with dampened suspension in the future.

2 Likes

Here is the stripped down version of the Road info I gathered. There are many bikes and most 56cm sized, with a few in the 54cm range. The far left ones are ones I own and used to compare to any I was considering on the right.

Feel free to copy the sheet, so you can edit, strip and add your own data as desired.

• Step 1) Create your own Google Sheet, as the future destination for your copy.
  • Step 2) Right-click the desired tab to copy, at the bottom.
  • Step 3) Click “Copy to…” and save this sheet into your own Google Sheet.
  • Step 4) Once it is saved, enter your data (Top Left) to see your calculated info.
5 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like

I just bought a 3T Exploro with the Sram AXS shifters and an Eagle XX1 10-50 MTB rear derailleur and it’s amazing. I’ve got a 44T front chainring and it’s very capable even on road. You spin out a little sooner on pavement but that’s the only thing I’ve noticed.

It’s also a fast bike. I’m setting PRs on things I was convinced you needed suspension on to be fast.

3 Likes

I’m racing with my cx bike. I hope I can finish and hang without having an appropriate gravel bike for this event.
Please pray for me.

2 Likes

This wins. Lovely build I’m sure!

:hocho: to a :gun: fight… you gunna die :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

https://geometrygeeks.bike is also a good tool for comparing geometries.

2 Likes

Agreed, and one I go to frequently. I had my sheet long before that and continue to use it for my own research as the primary source.

But I use GG for showing others and grabbing sizes and bikes I don’t already have to review.

1 Like

and some went sub 13 hours on a Fat Bike:

I have a friend you has an Open Upper setup as a 1x with Dura Ace Di2 with Enve G23 wheels, and in this configuration it is around 16lbs. So if you are looking for a light open (and you have a lot of $$$$$$$$ to drop), this is an attractive option.

He’s done DK200 on it.

yep. cx bikes totally unusable for DK. :wink:

2 Likes

Funny. I think you’ll be JUST fine on a CX bike. Assuming you can fit something larger than a 33c tire.

1 Like

Too bad they don’t have functionality that overlays the bikes that are being compared. That’s far more useful to me than numbers on paper.

For that I like this:

https://www.bikegeocalc.com/

1 Like