Got dropped on my first group ride this weekend

And it was awesome. It was the first time I’ve even ridden in a group, I didn’t know anyone there, I emailed one of the members and asked if I could tag along, and they welcomed me with open arms. The first half of the ride I felt amazing, made it over 30 miles in about 90 minutes. Stopped for a quick break to eat and collect a straggler, then we started back out and at 36 miles I just completely cracked. We had been riding well above my comfort level for almost two hours and I just couldn’t hang on the hills. Two guys fell back to help pull me back to the group, but I decided to take the hit to the ego and admit I didn’t have it, and made a tactical retreat to limp the 15 miles home at an easy pace. The group was generous and gracious and nothing like the elitism we hear about sometimes in this sport. I don’t really know what the point of this post was. Probably to just memorialize to myself how much freaking fun it was to ride fast in a group, especially a group that was so much stronger than myself. And even though I couldn’t finish at their pace, by god for 35 miles I looked like I was somethin!

77 Likes

Hey dude, at least you got to get outside! Other than yesterday and today, it’s been snow and cold in the PNW! Keep on spinning!

2 Likes

Great stuff! Its a total blast riding in a group, my local group ‘dads peloton’ have been smashing it lately and its so much fun to drop the hammer every now and again and just get out there. We are all on TrainerRoad and encourage each other along.

Keep training and you’ll get strong. I’m a heavy dude 98kgs and love smashing along on the flat. Hills are another story :slight_smile: Though I have learnt to suffer on TrainerRoad and now when the group push on up a climb and I drop off the back, I laugh to myself. I’m the only one with power… so I know if I sit on my power, then I’ll generally be able to get them or pass.

So much fun!

5 Likes

Love your attitude. I think its a total blast to ride in groups, and who cares if you get dropped. If you fear blowing up, you never find your limits.

6 Likes

I hope you will be going out with them again.

3 Likes

I’m not really sure where all the cycling elites are, glad they’re not in your neck of the woods either! Glad you’re taking it the right way and stoked on the experience, long season ahead of you, use it as motivation to keep up with them every ride out!

2 Likes

For sure!

Way to go. This is totally WICKED!!! Thx for your post! Very inspirational!

1 Like

Ride with people stronger than you. Recover a day or two. Repeat. Get strong. The art is weaving those rides with TR low volume plan. Still haven’t cracked the code, hoping this is the year.

7 Likes

AWESOME WORK… being dropped is a right of passage, and is a great incentive to work harder.

Always remember food is your friend :wink:

3 Likes

Hi,
I liked your post.
That’s nice because you could feel a amazing man for a period of this ride.
You could do it because other people were attentive to you.
There are a lot of possibilities to go over yourself with the bike.
For example, you can join a group for a long distance and ride far away for some days.
You need just to be fit for bike and a little bit trained.

2 Likes

What a super positive post

If that was your first ever group ride and you did 30 miles in 90 mins (20mph/32kmh) then hats off to you :+1:

3 Likes

Getting dropped only means that you went as hard as you could possibly go which is a great thing! There’s nothing like group rides and racing to push you to your limits. Great work my friend!

4 Likes

I think many riders have been there, the first ride with a group, getting dropped, getting towed, encouraged…and then finally dragging yourself home with memories of a really super group of people (most cyclists!) Are you basking in the memory of pushing yourself harder than ever before? Of having new goals now? Of riding with the group next week…and the week after? I know I was after my first club ride. I was (am) hooked!

5 Likes

Hooked is the right word, for sure. On my drive home from the ride I was thinking thoughts like “maybe I should hide my strava workouts so these guys don’t know how hard I’m about to work so I can come back and beat their brakes off…” :slight_smile: Truly a blast, I have TrainerRoad to thank for that!

1 Like

Haha that’s awesome man! First group ride is addictive, and I haven’t met any elitists yet. I’ve got no doubt those little cliques exist but sometimes I feel like the only people who say cyclists can be elitist are the ones who don’t actually cycle to begin with. After all, we’re all riding cause we have fun doing it, right?

2 Likes

Well done dude! It’s great seeing how far you’ll come if you stick with it. It’s a good feeling :slight_smile:

My first group ride i went out thinking i was pretty fit. Promptly got spat out the back hard. Couldn’t make that final 10 meters or so… Put my ego back in check :stuck_out_tongue: The two midweek club rides are some of my favourite - good laugh and good training :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is great to hear. I remember my first group ride. It was a shock to the system haha. I think i went out with those guys within 6 months of taking it up so i was definitely not that fit. Iv since gained a lot more fitness and I would be waiting for the lot of them if i went out now. i have moved onto another group of guys and joined a different club but i like to remember my experience just like you have to remind myself how far i have come.

1 Like

Keep at it,i can recall many a Tuesday and Thursday evenings kickings by the hands of much stronger riders when i began cycling.

But you will improve and over time you’re not the nail but become the hammer!!!

2 Likes

great story and great attitude!

1 Like