Gear odor - what do you use to prevent and/or eliminate it?

For shoes I use “Arm and Hammer” dryers sheets shoved down in them. It helps a lot. I have used Lysol disinfectant spray on my helmet. I do this when I now it is going have time to dry well.

1 Like

I use Nature’s Miracle. It’s an enzyme based spray that is used for pets. Sometimes if I know I won’t wash something for a few days, I’ll spray my kit with it before I put it in the hamper. It’s pretty effective. You can find it in any pet store, Petco, Pet Smart, etc.

1 Like

SportSuds. Works well for me. Eliminates the lingering odor is used To get with post-washed clothes.

1 Like

Btw - followup - that shitty boot dryer thing with ozone WORKS WONDERS. I didn’t really believe that ozone would eliminate odors and was really willing to settle for just drying - no smells and thoroughly soaked shoes dry in like 120min on the thing. It does not use heat, though it gets a little warm, so I think your heat molded shoes are safe as well.

1 Like

Halo sport wash works for me, easy to get hold of in UK from Amazon and Sainsbury’s. Use it at 30 degrees on my washers sports kit setting and everything comes out pretty good. I do wash my MTB kit with a hose first if it’s been really muddy though.

There are some things that make a smell worse though - I recently tried ‘Udderly Smooth’ chamois cream and after a long hot ride it absolutely stank, plus it didn’t wash out of my shorts that easily.

1 Like

I have no science to back this up: For odor, this method has greatly lengthened the life of my biking and running kits - almost ridiculously so. First after each ride/run I use a 12-18’ spin cycle and hang my clothes. Regular wash once a week. When things start to smell, soak your kit in ( 1 gallon warm water, 1/4 cup salt (minimum), 1 tablespoon washing soda or laundry detergent (mix until salt dissolves, allow to cool before adding clothes)) for 2-3 days before the weekly wash. The key ingredient is the salt. I have to attribute this mixture to my wife, who was tired of my stinky clothes. Note: we just use water softener salt - nothing fancy.

2 Likes