Garmin Edge 1040 Released

I think the difference is that Garmin sells a power meter and HRM, whereas TR doesn’t directly profit from you purchasing equipment.

Yes not completely parallel but until recently TR doesn’t have any real HR analysis features, so its easy for TR to “sell against” HR in favor of power. A year ago when they introduced Adaptive Training I seem to recall acknowledgment that HR can be useful, and long-term plans to add more support for HR.

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. My comment was about Garmin, not TR. And I’m fully supportive of these features and the growth/improvement we all get by using them. It’s just an off the cuff comment that it’s genius marketing to get people to buy all their accessories.

How did you feel during the last two hours?

I did a 130 mile gravel race a few months back with the 1040. My stamina did get down to zero as well in the last 90 minutes or so. At that stage I could still ride in Z2 and finish the race, but I didn’t have the energy to push above threshold on the climbs anymore to chase people down.

2 Likes

Pretty much the same. I could keep turning cranks, but I wasn’t going into super-threshold.

Also Climb Pro has some error stacking to it. out of 6 listed climbs, the last two didn’t pop up until the climb was almost done, which wasn’t helpful, but they were also the kind of climbs that had me asking myself “Shouldn’t Climb Pro be up right now?” The later the climbs were on the course, the more tardy they were in showing up.

Also Dropper post was SUPER USEFUL. Would Highly recommend for races where things pitch down like RPI or Rock Cobbler. Not so much for Unbound.

1 Like

Ok I’m over my head I have the 1040 and thought it would be cool especially since it picks up power data from one of my e-bikes. However I haven’t figured out how to set it up to consistently pick up the power meter. This is my first Garmin in years… Are there some basic tutorials out there. Maybe I need to reset and start from the beginning!

Is there an option to remove the timer? To me that’s the whole point of having workouts programmed in, is that I don’t have to stare at a timer.

Yeah, this. I still mainly use Xert, but ride with power and HR and Garmin is always updating my Vo2 estimate and prompting to update FTP as well. FTP estimates are always pretty conservative, and they seem to only come through capacitive efforst, but it’s still really cool, especially that it estimates threshold HR as well.

1 Like

There isn’t an option to remove the timer, you’d have to create a custom data page for the field’s you want

1 Like

Redlude97 your cadence graph looks a bit weird. Those are inorganic shapes. The ramps

My sister just texted me:

I am getting a Garmin 1040 Solar today. I ordered a 1030 Plus over Labor Day on sale and received a confirmation email and tracking number in another email but didn’t receive it. I followed up with on Monday and they apologized and realized they had sold out of the 1030 but still had my money. Their only recourse was to send me the 1040 Solar at the sale price of the 1030 Plus. $449.00. It is good to be me.

so I pull up her Strava

but apparently texting a pic of that :rofl: was not a convincing argument and she won’t trade or negotiate with me. And to think I gave her my 520. :sob:

This is like the Isle of Misfit toys (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer), a 1040 Solar is only happy when going outside 4 or 5 days a week. I could make that 1040 solar very happy :sun_with_face:

9 Likes

Same problem yesterday on my 530 and latest 9.5 firmware that was released 17 days ago (September 2, 2022).

Rode up Mt Hamilton which is an HC climb over 18 miles and has

• 3 climbs
  • 2 downhills

And ClimbPro correctly gives a total of 5 climbs for the out-and-back.

ClimbPro was perfect on the first 3 climbs. Then I turned around and descended. The 4th climb was off by about a quarter mile, and similar with the 5th climb but closer to 0.5 miles off.

A couple of comical screenshots that I took:

3-436pm-13313

Yup, I’m going downhill on a 7% grade. The 7% grade part was correct. The ClimbPro graphic is not.

Happened right here:

4-436pm-13323

Just past Joseph Grant County park, and right where I took pics of the wild pigs.

And then at the top of the climb you can see ClimbPro was a little over half a mile behind where I actually was.

7-447pm-14002

okay dokey, I’m already descending and ClimbPro thinks I still have 0.5 miles to go.

Everything else worked perfectly, including the live GPS map, the sharp corner warnings, etc. Seems like ClimbPro miscalculated climbs 4 and 5, because the first 3 were perfect.

Calling Garmin later to report.

1 Like

The 1040 beta stream now has firmware 14.50 which has one listed change:

• Updated connectivity firmware to address compatibility issues with some devices.

I assume this is the 4iiii P3 meter fix/attempted fix. Someone has reported it is better… but had some sleep/wake-up issue.

Side note: I’m amazed at how many 4iiii P3 owners are popping up. That power meter was/is a disaster compared to their previous meters.

1 Like

keep holding the power button for 5 seconds AFTER you get to this screen.

1 Like

Also found a bug that has persisted across updates.

Timed Eat Prompts do not pop up when in workout mode. Smart Eat/Drink do however…

1 Like

No problems here

@mountainrunner @GPLama

Did you guys have a nightmare trying to get the TyreWiz to show up in the SRAM AXS app? Every time I add the sensor and select the wheel it’s on, the app crashes, returning me to my phone’s home screen.

I wouldn’t mind but I can’t get my hands on my garmin until Friday so it’d be nice to be able to test these with the app instead. Any tips hugely appreciated. I’m on a Samsung S21 Ultra.

FWIW when I first added a sensor it DID work. But then when I tried to add the second one it crashed repeatedly. So I uninstalled and reinstalled and now I can’t add even one of them.

Working on an iPhone. I’d reach out to Quarq/SRAM and ask for help on your Samsung.

1 Like

I’ve had the occasional problem with the SRAM app, but nothing that seemed related to the TyreWiz. Back with the 830, adding the two TyreWizs and assigning them wheels and setting the parameters went smoothly. Accessing the TyreWizs are fine too and I updated their firmware through the app just this weekend. But I’m on an iPhone, like @WindWarrior, so that’s a major difference. Good luck!

1 Like

This week I’ve had 99 new bike tech problems, that’s not one of them. I’m also on IOS for the AXS app.

If you can get an IOS device - Install the AXS app and check for firmware. iirc there was a TyreWiz update a few months back.

4 Likes