Garage/Pain Cave must haves

:sweat_smile::raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

Consider insulating it. Will save $$$ in long run. I started w the heater as more layers took more time to get dressed, Then they would have to come off as I warmed up.

In addition to all the other suggestions:

Remote power switch for fan(s). This my best bang for the buck item. EDIT - I think in a garage this is a true must have. The colder it gets the more of a luxury it is to start a workout without the fan(s) on then power up when you get warm
Amazon.com

5 or 6 good quality towels for sweat and a bin to store them in (they’ll disappear if you don’t store them in your room).

Apple TV - I prefer a Roku which works better and is cheaper. But for the pain cave, the Apple TV gives you all the streaming options of a Roku plus there is a Zwift app which works great. It is well worth the premium over a Roku if you are even just thinking of doing a little Zwifting.

A chair - even a cheap folding chair or stool will do. Aside from taking your shoes off and on, there are lots of other times its nice to be able to sit down in the pain cave, like watching the last 10 minutes of that movie or resting up before you exit back into the craziness in the rest of the house :wink:

5 Likes

Even better than the Conquer desk - Ride All Day (RAD!) desk. Looks to be the same thing but $11 cheaper. I have one, it works fine. Add fans, roku TV, and some charging cables for your doo-dads and you’re cooking.

1 Like

This is pretty common. The cold air can cause bronchial restriction, something to watch out for. I’ve found having something to warm the air slightly (a buff or similar I could pull over my mouth) helps.

1 Like

+1 for this; especially if you walk outside to get to the garage in the winter. Few times I’ve walked through the snow to get to my trainer setup and having a chair made chipping the snow from my cleats much easier! :cold_face:

2 Likes

For 9 years I’ve had a massive leather chair which has been exiled to storage by my wife who has a visceral loathing for its ugliness. I’ve brilliantly resisted all attempts to get me to take it to the dump and last week my patience was rewarded as i finished a bit of a clean-up, paint and refurb of my pain cave and sneaked the massive chair in there.

Imagine my delight now to get off the trainer and sprawl onto my massive old chair in the sweaty quiet of my pain cave.

11 Likes

Here in Ireland in the mountains I train in an outdoor wooden shed without heat. Hands and feet are the only things I’ve had issues with cold. I start with several layers on (might rob the hook within reach idea above).

I’d also second the cleva fan - kinda related to the earlier point, I think I’ve used it on all but the very coldest days!

4 Likes

Haha, my other half thinks if I make the garage any more comfortable I may move in!

2 Likes

Any thoughts on lighting? I’ve just got basic fluorescent tubes in my garage and have been wondering if some better bulbs might make it nicer in the dark winter mornings.

1 Like

Lasko fan. Rode for the first time today and what a difference it makes. I have always been skeptical of the performance and couldn’t see that it would make much difference than the two fans I already had but it sure does.
Sorry for ever doubting the Lasko fan club!

3 Likes

I’ve got the same where I will be moving (today) and was thinking about better/more lighting.

Also I will need to get more power points as the garage only has two plugs and I don’t want to overdo the extension cables.

I’ve recently put up some a strip of 30 LED lights, which are great and run from 12v.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071KNS8BZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have them running from a old car battery which I charge every few months.

3 Likes

There’s a cheaper version to an RF control if you can use a screwdriver: Sonoff Basic is about $5 & you can control it from smart-phone/Alexa/google-assistant. You can even have it connected to a timer so it turns on 5 minutes after starting warming up.

As regards humidity/cold worries. Just warm up whilst breathing through your nose. My experience of Scotland was never that low humidity was much of a risk anyway. If anything you might need a dehumidifier. I’d imagine the walls/roof are relatively cold & can attract condensation.

1 Like

Thanks for the link to the air mover, def considering one - Is it quiet enough to be used for early morning sessions?

I’m moving soon too and am in exactly the same situation. Is your garage part of the house or standalone? How air tight is it? Is it like a drafty garage with plenty of airgaps around the doors or is it more like a part of the house? Sorry for the questions but I notice you’re in Scotland (I’m in South England) and the forum is a US majority who’s garages seem to look more like a gym than a typical UK garage! :smile:

1 Like

I have a lot of US envy looking at the ‘garages’ and ‘basements’ some people have!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t feel comfortable answering this. I nearly always have my headphones on so I couldn’t say how loud the actual air mover is. And it also depends on how well you get on with your neighbours, and how early it is.

Understand & thanks…I see from their site that it’s 55dB vs the Wahoo Kickr at 85db makes it pretty quiet IMHO.

It’s built onto the side of the house and has an outside door (i.e. not accessible through the house) and not air tight so the setup will have to be sturdy. e.g. I won’t be leaving a laptop out there.

It’s going to be much less fancy than some of the ones on here!

1 Like