Gap Training Advice for Barry Roubaix

Big thanks to everyone here, I finished the Coast 2 Coast this weekend, even made my goal of the daylight award (finished in 15hr 22min, 11 min to spare for the cut off). I think I could have been about 20-30 min faster if not for some unexpected complications with gels and hydration mix all day that hit hard around the 3rd checkpoint. In the end though I don’t think I could have completed it with out the program here.

The race was really well run, and the people were great. The race starts out pretty fast minus a big mud hole about 8 miles in. The first 50 miles or so are pretty flat and quite fast, after that the hills start to come. But the real kicker that doesn’t seem to be in any of the brochures is the Manistee forest trails, nothing can prepare you for those 80 miles. So much sand, and every time you think you are starting to make up some time you are routed back into it. It was by far the most difficult thing I have ever accomplished. Today I am still hurting, but in a couple weeks I will probably think about signing up next year, maybe this time with my mountain bike and some wide fast rolling tires.

2 Likes