FTP Over estimated

:slight_smile: That is exactly what I do. That and using the less challenging workout variants in the beginning of a new “emproved FTP cycle”.

This pretty much is what I have been learning and probably it is a bunch of stupid statements but…

Something we should never forget is that FTP is defined as MLSS - Maximum Lactate Steady State - there is nothing saying it should be 60m Power or even near. I think we can assume that some athletes phisiology just does not allows for a MLSS longer enough to sustain TR type long intervals. Sustainability of the MLSS is for sure trainable but maybe for some it will never be enough.

I hope I will am not saying nothing obscene here in this Forum but I might feel closer to Sufferfest profiling that looks at some sort of power duration multiple point test (INSYD does the same by the way).

I would never prescribe the same power levels for a VO2Max workout (based for instance in 1 to 3 minutes efforts) to an athlete with a 1500w PMax and a guy with 800w PMax even if they have the same multiple tested lab based FTP, as well as same weight, age, gender, etc…
What we know is that TrainerRoad would target the same power outputs for both.

However, one should not purely freak out if the power target compliance looks impossible.
There are tools to calibrate the efforts it in the app without sacrifising at all the purpose of the work and, with time, we gather the necessary self knowledge to adjust our training according to our personal characteristics.

FTP is indeed the best standard for training for an endurance sport but it might be an oversimplification for a lot of people who are not even outliers.

The more serious the cyclist becomes about her/his performance, the less universal the FTP reference will be.