Frame Protection

Saturday will be NBD for me. I’m picking up a 2018 Specialized Epic Expert.

Any good recommendations for frame protection kits precut or otherwise? Would like to get it wrapped while fresh out of the box.

Thank you and Cheers

@Jonathan does a really good job discussing this w Steve on his other podcast TheMTBpodcast. I can’t search well right now or I would give you links.

Invisiframe

1 Like

+1 for Invisiframe. Not cheap, but great product and excellent fit.

3 Likes

I put a Bike Shield dowbtube protector on my new bike since the area loves chip seal. It went on easily and isn’t noticeable unless up close

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation and welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Has anyone tried something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gtechniq-Liquid-Crystal-Hydrophobic-Sealant/dp/B01HVSEJE6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Gtechniq-Liquid-Crystal-Hydrophobic-Sealant&qid=1552999949&s=gateway&sr=8-1 or

I’ve seen good reviews from car users but surely would also make sense for my new frame. I don’t want to spend too much or add weight/damage the frame but something that means dirt doesn’t stick as quickly would be a worthwhile investment

1 Like

I’ve gotten some good results with purchasing clear vinyl and cutting it to size. Not always as elegant as pre-cut solutions, but it has always worked for me and protects well. Amazon.com

I bought Invisiframe for my new mountain bike. It is expensive and quite thin but I found it pretty easy to fit although I have ended up with a couple of small bubbles. It really is cut to suit your frame really well though so if you can afford it I’d recommend it. If you’re on a budget I’m sure there are alternatives that will work just as well in key areas but if you want the full wrap I’ve not come across anything else.

My LBS has an agreement with a local 3M store, they’ll cover the keys parts with a pretty thick layer of clear 3M for a reasonable sum. I think an average MTB is around $200.

That is pretty cool and smart thinking of your LBS. I’d pay that for coverage that I don’t have to do. Cost me more than that in stress, hassle, and missed family time (or training time).

Will have to bring that up with my LBS.

Just spray Flex Seal on it.

I use Helicopter tape to protect from cable rub

Resurrecting an old thread. I (hopefully) have a NBD (gravel) in the near future and am looking to protect the frame. I’m not talented enough to custom-cut 3M, vinyl, or something equivalent and still have it look good, so am going down a pre-cut solution.

NBD

The bike has a gloss finish (I think) so am strongly considering the RideWrap but 1) want to confirm that gloss protection is correct for gloss frame and 2) people’s experience with RideWrap and other protection. (@Pbase @TooManyDogs @rswagler1 @stow @SirDAN can you confirm the blue is gloss or matte?)

Also, what percentage of coverage do you suggest for a gravel bike - tailored (95%), covered (60%), or essential (30%)? My road bike came with Lizard Skin, but that only covered about 30%. I did add a little 3M tape to cover the bottom of the down tube and bottom bracket, but for a gravel bike that I might use for some light bike packing I think 95% coverage makes more sense. Thoughts?

Ride Wrap

Lizard Skin

2 Likes

You could use RideWrap and get the level of coverage that you desire.

You could also find a local installer of PPF for automotive applications. It’s the same material and the person applying can do a custom job or apply the RideWrap kit you buy.

I did my latest Epic Evo in Suntek Ultra and did a custom install.

I do this for a living, so I’m biased.

Hump

2 Likes

I pay a local guy to do my mtb’s. I’m one of those people who would rather pay someone with experience to do it and hope they get it right, than do it myself and kick myself every time I look at the bike and see a bubble because I didn’t spend the money.

I would go with either the tailored or covered depending on how you feel about the down tube and bottom bracket coverage.

3 Likes

I have the black lauf. So not sure if the blue is matte or gloss. I would think 60% coverage is enough but I’m not finicky at all in regards to scuffs on my bike. I precut 3m vinyl strips. The lauf came with a strip of vinyl protection already installed on the underside of the down tube. I wrapped rest of down tube and top tube since I have frame bags and straps can scuff a bit if dirt gets there. And then some more around where in muddy conditions mud could rub between tire and frame.

2 Likes