First Ftp power test - data advice

Thanks.

Well, I tried my first ride today - [edit] Goddard. Pretty overwhelming to be honest - since the power numbers mean nothing to me yet, it was hard to hit the target. Adding in gear changes, slight terrain adjustments, and gusty conditions and I found myself over and undershooting constantly and an unhealthy amount of staring at the Garmin screen. Plus I was still learning how the ‘workouts’ on the garmin work as never used them before.

Thanks to garmin connect being down I had to manually input the ride into the 830 - never even used those menus before but it was surprisingly ok, not exactly intuitive but thankfully I had previously synced a workout so that gave me a good idea how to do it. Now I know a whole lot more about Garmins!

I guess the judge of what power you’re riding becomes easier over time? I can definitely see how a trainer would be better for this type of thing, but since I don’t have one and prefer riding outside (especially in Summer anyway), I’ll just give it a few more weeks and see if I get the hang of it.

Can’t even sync the data to see how I did but I know it’s going to be a bit of a rollercoaster!