Feature Request - Blind Ramp Test

• How? Are we forced to watch the power, heart rate, cadence or any other metric? Obviously not. We still perform the test and go until we pop.

• We aren’t altering the test any more than people shooting for 19:30 or beyond, using a special playlist with a hit song in the hard parts, or any of the other “tricks” people have chosen to use.

• In a way, yes. I know for me, I can sometimes psyche myself out if I see a power or heart rate value that seems like too much. Or others may fret about the 19:30 point when they already hurt at 18:00. The reasons are many and covered in detail in the links above.
  • Maybe, but that’s an incorrect assumption across the board.
  • As mentioned above, there are many reasons someone would like to test without staring at or even having easy access to the data. Sometimes just ripping until you pop with no data is better for some people.
  • Those that want all the data, timing targets and such are free to do as they please. Neither group (max, minimal any in between) is altering the test or cheating to get a vanity metric. They just want a test that suits their desires and preference for testing.
  • And precisely the reason some don’t want to see numbers. They want to avoid potential sabotage from seeing numbers that may scare them.
  • I see no reason a Ramp test can’t be approached in the same way.
  • The reason behind it doesn’t matter. It’s all about the way a person can put out the best performance they have in them at that moment.
2 Likes

Not sure what you mean here

Don’t take it personally. I’d say those people are also changing their protocol

You missed the context here. I’m not assuming anything. I’m suggesting that this would need to be the case for you to want to tweek the test in order to gain a higher FTP. If you aren’t crushing all your workouts then you’ll cheat yourself in the long run by trying to increase your FTP by way of a method different to how you normally test.

I didn’t suggest any of these things. Again, don’t take it personally. I’m not telling anyone they can’t have their blind test, it makes no difference to me what they do. I’m just creating conversation about the benefits/lack of.

Yep and that’s exactly why I brought this up, to show my understanding for the people who favour the blind approach. You failed to quote the following part though where I then explained why I think this still doesn’t solve any long term training goals.

It would be good to be able to turn off all metrics except cadence when doing the FTP tests. I think there is a psychological effect at play (negative impact) during the test if metrics such as power and heart rate are visible.

1 Like

Put a towel over screen :wink:

3 Likes

As noted in your original topic, this is an existing request so I moved your post with that one to keep common ideas in the same topic.

1 Like