Fast After 50 - Reading Material

Hi team.
Just wanted to give a recommendation for the book “Fast After 50” by Joe Friel. I am sure this was one of Chad’s recommendations.

The great thing about this book is that all of the discussion is based on research (university and industry studies, etc.) and is not just someones opinion. It adds to, and supports the great info that we get via the TrainerRoad podcast.

I would actually recommend the read for anyone serious about their training - because the information it contains is useful for any athlete - not just the “oldies”.

Really well written book - do yorself a favour and get a copy.

By way of personal background.

• I like in Perth Western Australia.
  • TrainerRoad user for 6 months.
  • Turned 50 in Dexcember.
  • 6’4 (around 193cm).
  • 95kg (209lbs).
  • First FTP test in July 2018 - 289. Nexttwo tests = 296, 313.
  • Latest FTP 326 (3.43k/kg).
  • Inspired to get as close as I can to 4w/kg (would be around 380).
  • Dabbled in my first crits this summer - and love them. The Short Power Build and Crit Specialty plan are clearly excellent for this type of focus.
8 Likes

Agreed a good read…I was put onto that book after a post I made about being over 60 and training.

1 Like

Im reading this right now too, though I am not 50, nor am I fast.

I have definitely realized the reality of slowing down with age, and Friel knows his business, so I am reading it cover to cover first, and tabbing sections for further review.

2 Likes

I tried to buy it…but I got carded. =(

4 Likes

Find somebody with an AARP card. They sometimes hang out at restaurants in the late afternoon/early evening.

5 Likes

It’s a good read. However, if you are looking for a shortcut or some sort of “ahhh ha” moment you will be disappointed. Here is one of my favorite quotes from the book:

What drives the physiology of training for high performance when you are old is no different from what it was when you were 30 years younger. The principles of training don’t change.

What changes is your ability to recover from workout and life related stress which affects loading, adaptation etc…which he goes on to talk about at length. Again, good read, but sort of like Fitzgeralds book about eating right; you can lead a horse to water but, you can’t make them drink. You have to follow through and THAT is the one thing most older guys I know don’t do. They give up when it gets hard.

2 Likes

Re reading the book and came across this fun equation to get an estimate for your relative VO2max: (max HR/resting HR) 15. So for example mine is (192/41)15=70.24 A few points higher than an actual gas exchange test last year so kind of cool. I took the max and min I’ve seen in the last month or so as suggested. 1BPM in resting HR really skews the result so be honest!:wink:

1 Like