Just wanted to give a recommendation for the book “Fast After 50” by Joe Friel. I am sure this was one of Chad’s recommendations.
The great thing about this book is that all of the discussion is based on research (university and industry studies, etc.) and is not just someones opinion. It adds to, and supports the great info that we get via the TrainerRoad podcast.
I would actually recommend the read for anyone serious about their training - because the information it contains is useful for any athlete - not just the “oldies”.
Really well written book - do yorself a favour and get a copy.
By way of personal background.
- I like in Perth Western Australia.
- TrainerRoad user for 6 months.
- Turned 50 in Dexcember.
- 6’4 (around 193cm).
- 95kg (209lbs).
- First FTP test in July 2018 - 289. Nexttwo tests = 296, 313.
- Latest FTP 326 (3.43k/kg).
- Inspired to get as close as I can to 4w/kg (would be around 380).
- Dabbled in my first crits this summer - and love them. The Short Power Build and Crit Specialty plan are clearly excellent for this type of focus.