Extending workouts (additional Zone 2) VS Separate Morning Workout (Zone 2)

Looking to add in extra volume (primarily Zone 2) and am contemplating at adding to the back end of workouts or simply doing a separate workout in the morning (likely Petit). Any pros/cons to one or the other? Additional zone 2 tacked on to regularly scheduled workouts seems like it might give better adaptation that mimics the purpose of zone 2 whereas an extra hour of zone 2, isolated by itself, may not necessarily provide those same benefits. Thoughts?

You’re right; it will provide different benefits, mostly mitochondrial efficiency.

How many weeks are you able add extra volume?

I like to add a second workout when possible, but the reality is that it’s way easier and more practical to lengthen one ride. At the very least, it’s half the laundry.

1 Like

In general most weeks (because of COVID-19). Normally I travel for plenty for work so it’s less structured than I like and of the 5 planned workouts I may only get in 4 and am undoubtedly shifting things around throughout the week.

If your schedule is that wonky you might be best to just extend the workout vs trying to fit an extra one in whenever.

Working on solving the scheduling issues so the original question remains as to what would be the best option presuming time isn’t a factor?

Do extended workouts first then add additional workouts.

Just started training and reading up a lot on 80/20 etc…so today I finally calculated my heart rate zones and went for a “run”. It was basically a 4 mph walk for an hour.

It just seems silly, is this really going to work? Does zone 2 eventually turn into 6 mph etc…any personal experiences?

I didn’t ask the original question in the context of polarized training and only have limited exposure to that but when I was adding in significant volume in the 50-60% FTP range I definitely saw HR start to come down in those ranges and felt as though I had bigger room for growth towards the top.

Yes, it does. You might also read the MAF topic.

My short story: I did this with cycling. When I started my cycling speed at 65-70% of HRmax was ridiculously slow - like 12mph. After 8 weeks of these kinds of base miles I found I was breaking all my key Strava PRs, FTP had gone up 20 watts, and my endurance had increased greatly. These days cruising along at 65-70% of HRmax results in 17-20mph.

Yes, go slow now to go fast later has been around for a long long time… From wikipedia article on Long Slow Distance

Long slow distance running was promoted as a training method by Joe Henderson in 1969.[8] Henderson saw his approach as providing an alternative to the dominant school of training for distance running which he called “PTA school of running – the pain, torture, and agony” approach. He documented the success of six competitive runners who followed in one form or another an LSD training regime, sometimes combining a few more strenuous workouts with the regular long slow distance running

Everything old is new again.

Pretty late to this, but could you elaborate on the differing benefits you mention @Captain_Doughnutman

As a new trainer, trying to gain as much knowledge as possible and this particular topic was one which was on my mind, almost exactly like @thtucker articulated.