Erg Mode workout Plan

Hi I need to be at home and connected to the trainer. Will post a screenshot this evening.

1 Like

My mistake, it is not in the Devices setup page. It is in the Settings page, a slider called ‘Power Smoothing’ that ranges from 0 to 30 seconds. Isn’t this for regulating how fast power follows up after cadence variation in ERG mode?

It is available also in the iOS app in the Settings page as you can see from the screenshot below

OK, that’s what I figured you were talking about. No, it is not doing what you think it is.

The “Power Smoothing” setting only affects the display of the live “Powervalue (the one on top of the “Target”).

When the setting is anything other than 0 (zero) it applies a smoothing that is effectively a rolling average of the power at the time selected. If you set that to 5 seconds, the Power value displayed is averaged across the readings in the most recent 5 seconds.

• It effectively slows down any changes in power based on a larger window of time.
  • Most importantly, this setting only ever affects the displayed “Power” value.
  • It does NOT affect the visible graphing, the data behind the scenes, or anything related to smart trainers in ERG mode.
  • The only impact it has is on our perception of the power and how quickly we see it change. As such, it is only manipulating us as the user, not the trainer in any way.
1 Like

Hi Chad, thank you for clarifying this topic. I fully understood what Power Smoothing is now. Considering this I have read that while training people/athletes often speak about preferring an average power reading over 3 seconds and not real instant power. Just, as you say, to slow down data feeding to the user and make things easier to visualise during a training.
What do you personally think or set this value to?
Thanks…

1 Like

Depending on the power device, something between 3-10 seconds is usually good. I like a bit lower so I see it respond more quickly. With 10 second smoothing, it is tougher to see and adjust for things like hard and short sprints.

Pretty sure I use 3 seconds on all of my devices. I get away with this additionally since I focus more on my cadences than actual power values. It seems easier to control the power or my smoothness if I watch cadence instead of power.

1 Like

Hi Chad,
Earlier in this post and I have heard you mention it numerous times about the importance of high cadence when ERG mode. I am historically a grinder, going back through all my data I average about 80-85rpm. The last 5weeks on TR I have averaged about 82.

I currently use a cyclops fluid 2 and have no problem hitting and holding targets in the workouts.

Will ERG mode struggle with my lower cadence riding style? ( I’m quite keen to make the jump to a H2 or Neo 2)

1 Like

You can sure use lower cadence in ERG mode. I routinely practice low cadence intervals at 55-75 rpm.

The main issue is with low cadence and ERG is that it can be really easy (in a bad way) to slow down too much and end up in the “spiral of death”. So, when doing low cadence work in ERG, you really need to “stay on top” of the gear. Pay attention to your cadence and the related force. If you slack too much, it is easy to get behind and lock up the trainer.

All that said, I think it is a great way to use ERG mode, you just need to be attentive and quick with your response to any cadence changes.

1 Like