Equipment problems of new swimmers

Every year when swimming, I only summer weather hot time into the pool swimming, but also once in winter to try indoor heated pool (22-26 ℃), although swimming for a period of time after feeling less cold, but may be because each time into the water and out of the water by the temperature stimulation, winter swimming in general after swimming, there are symptoms of runny nose, and may be in that week are sick state.
Today when browsing Amazon, I found this suit, please ask whether it will help me in winter indoor swimming?

For my condition, is this suit appropriate because I have not tried it and I do not know if I feel hot or still tend to feel cold when I wear this suit.
Because of limited ability, I only swim inside the pool, I hope you can help me, if you have a better product recommendation, please attach the link, thanks!

I don’t know anything about this wetsuit specifically but I wouldn’t use one in a 24c indoor pool. That is a bit on the cold side though and this suit isn’t terribly expensive so maybe give it a try. Just be careful because sometimes it’s hard to tell how hot you get and how much you sweat in the pool but it is a lot and a wetsuit can be dangerous if it makes you too hot.

You say you are getting in and out of the water a lot. Is there a specific reason for that? I would try to minimize the amount of time you are out of the water and try to dry off as soon as possible after getting out. This will keep you from getting too cold.

So do you actually get sick or you just have a runny nose? It’s not uncommon for people to get a runny nose both during exercise and when they are a bit cold but they aren’t sick. So maybe it’s just that? If there are no other symptoms of fatigue and such then I wouldn’t worry about it.

1 Like

I would go for an entry-level triathlon or swimming wetsuit- the shoulder area of diving wetsuits can be pretty inflexible/restrictive which can make swimming pretty difficult. A swim-specific wetsuit also has some additional lower body buoyancy which can make things a bit easier as well. I’d expect to pay a bit more, but it’s likely going to be more comfortable and long-lasting. (I also see a lot of second-hand ones on fb marketplace so you could potentially pick up a bargain there!)

Generally I would steer away from a wetsuit in 24 degrees though- I find anything over 22qish to be pretty uncomfortable, and I tend to feel the cold more than most. It’s also getting pretty close to where wetsuits stop being legal in open water swimming events due to the risk of overheating, which can happen surprisingly quickly in a wetsuit.
I wonder if it might be worth bringing up to your GP- being cold in 24 degrees and being sick for a week after swimming sound fairly unusual to me and may be symptomatic of another issue.

1 Like

Perhaps I did not describe clearly.
In fact, I don’t feel particularly cold during winter indoor pool swimming (as long as I’m swimming), but once I stop to rest, the air temperature is humid and cold, making it easy to catch a chill from blowing.
I also tend to feel cold especially after I leave the pool, probably because I don’t dry myself in time.
Maybe it’s not illness, but I’m not a good swimmer, and after swimming, it’s like doing high-intensity intervals, very tired, and with a runny nose, I probably won’t feel great for a few days