ENVE’s new gravel bike. The MOG

People win BWR on road bikes with 32c tires. I’ve done BWR on 42c slicks.

Furthermore if aero is a concern, wider than 40C is automatically going to nuke any aero your wheels can have because it’s not possible to have deep enough wheels for how wide they would need to be to be aero with tires that wide.

Riding position is really all you have to work with here.

1 Like

One day, perhaps when you had expanded the range of your experiences on the bike, you’ll understand. It’ll take right mix of conditions and the appropriate length of the endeavor. Maybe is not accessible to you right now and it takes a trip or two.

Also, as the data keeps rolling, tire size keeps expanding. We are not done yet.

Why not just use 650B tires then? You can have a gravel bike, easily get 1300-1400g wheels, and fit great fast rolling XC tires like a Race King, Thunder Burt, or Mezcal? These are all better, faster, and wider than any 50c gravel tire. ESPECIALLY for bikepacking!

The 650b option is nice to have, but if you have the clearance to run the same size tire, then 700c is going to be faster than 650b.

That’s fine in theory except it’s basically never the case (on a gravel bike that you can fit the same size 700/650 tire), and depends (on the tire and course and wheels), and not to mention does anyone have hard data on that?

Speed. In 5 years only kids and small people will run these wheels.

But why? 400 extra grams and slow rolling……There are Gravel tires for a reason.

1 Like

That is a lot of PSI…I’d be down to 12psi.

Lol!

It’s basically the same argument that drove XC mtn bikes to 29" wheels as the fastest option.

The introduction of the Pathfinder Pro in 47 is what makes this really relevant with the current gravel bikes. IF the Pathfinder Pro 47 turns out to be faster than the 42, then frames like the MOG that can accomondate 47/700 are going to have an advantage.

In my case, on a Checkpoint SLR, I’d have to drop to a 650b to run the Pathfinder Pro in 47. So any gains in performance for the 47 might be offset by the drop in performance of the smaller wheelset. Tricky puzzle to solve.

I’m hoping the data that comes out of the work Silca and Dylan Johnson are doing testing different set ups at least provides some answers. If you follow what Dylan has been thinking and saying over the past year, such as on the Bonk Bros podcast, he’s pretty convinced that the gravel riders have be running tires smaller than optimal.

2 Likes

Your facts are off, lol.

1 Like

Even if it’s not faster but equal or insignificantly slower. That’s a win for 47’s. Let us hope the weight penalty is minimal.

I’m renting a 2023 Checkpoint this weekend and was curious about max tire size, thanks for posting that. Last I checked 2.1" is 53mm so that is close to a 50c tire if you have 650 wheel, right? And 45c for 700.

1 Like

The bike is rated for a 45x700 tire, 50c fits but it’s tight. AFAIK the checkpoint is not rated for 650B at all, however if you google, people have done it, but I can’t comment on clearance. I wouldn’t recommend 50c on the checkpoint unless you really know what you’re doing (a lot of people in this thread seem to not) - clear vinyl frame protection, dropouts adjusted correctly, wheels that aren’t trash, etc…

EDIT: maybe the newest version of the checkpoint is rated for 650? I thought at the time (2020) it wasn’t but that must have changed.

On a side note, the enve isn’t the first bike that can fit tires that size and the new specialized tire isn’t the first 47c tire so I’m not sure why people are acting like gravel racers haven’t had the opportunity to experiment with wider tires yet.

Secondarily, if you look at BRR and/or actually have first hand experience; gravel tires aren’t actually faster than XC tires unless we’re talking about basically slicks.

Continental Race King has entered the chat :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

3 Likes

Yes, those are the correct specs.

650b (27.5) is officially supported by Trek as an option for the Checkpoint.

Once they sell the frame by itself. Would it be possible to install, for instance a Roval Aplpinist SL Cockpit?. Is it a good idea?

Digging up an old thread… Has anyone more info on Enves integrated road system? I found this homepage detailing the parts: Introducing the Enve Integrated Road System – Elite Custom SG but no other info what so ever apart from some nice pics of completed builds with the fork and headset.

I’m interested in the integrated Road Disc Fork or rather the integrated Gravel Disc Fork as it is probably present in the MOG. I’d like to “upgrade” my cockpit into an integrated one and that would entail buying a new fork. I haven’t found any info what so ever on the above parts listed in the link. Enve does not have it on their website. Will this ever be for sale aftermarket? Maybe after the Taipei bike show? Someone has more info, please share? Thank you.

1 Like

Sorry for dredging this up - is this actually true that the same width tire on a 700 is faster than a 650?

I regularly switch 700 and 650 on my gravel bike with various tire sizes over many years and can’t say I’ve noticed this, though I haven’t tested it. One thing I have found is a 48mm 650 feels way better in handling compared to 48mm in 700. The 700 with a larger tire feels awkward IMO.

The 48mm in 650 is approximately the same diameter as 28mm in 700, so I’m not seeing why the 700 would be faster given the same tire width. Are you aware of a test that shows this?

Also, the ride height with the 650 is lower and may be more aero…

The assumption that the 700c wheel is faster than the 650b wheel is going to be with the same tire on each. The example I’m thinking of is the new Pathfinder Pro 47, which you can get for both 650b and 700c. The total diameter of a 700c wheel with a matching Pathfinder Pro 47 should be larger than a 650b with a 650b Pathfinder Pro 47 mounted on it. This speaks to the transition in mountain biking to 29" wheels which ultimately became the standard as the fastest.

Once you start changing up the type and size of tire and comparing different wheel sizes then who knows. For example is a 700c with a Pathfinder Pro 42 going to be faster than a 650b with a Pathfinder Pro 47 or vice versa? Because as you say the 47 on a 650b may be pretty close in actual diameter to a 42 on a 700c.

At gravel speeds I would think rolling resistance will trump aero gains by a pretty wide margin. There would likely be some losses with the 47 versus a 42, but I suspect pretty small.

Hopefully we will see some more data from Dylan Johnson and Silca as they are apparently spending a fair bit of time testing a lot of this. Dylan is riding his 47 Pathfinder Pro on 700c wheels. He trimmed the rear side knobs to improve clearance on his Factor gravel bike which is rated for 45c tires. I’ve decided to go in the same direction and put the Pathfinder Pro 47s on my G23 700c wheels. My Checkpoint is rated for 45c as well, so once I have them mounted I’ll decide whether to trim the knobs or not.

This is the part I’m not sure about and would like to see some testing. My understanding is this shouldn’t change the rolling resistance with the same tire and width. For mtn biking it’s more the angle of attack for rough terrain, so I’m skeptical this reason transfers over to road/gravel. Add it the extra weight of the wheels and tires, increased ride height, and possibly worse handling, and I’m even more skeptical.

Looking foreword to seeing some test results on this for sure!

1 Like