Electric bike information needed from expert and need opinion

how fast do electric bikes go? and is it possible to charge e-bike battery without charger?

Moderation Note, by Chad McNeese: This post was a false leading question that the spammer/bot used to offer an answer to their own question that included spam links. I suspended their account, hid the offending comments (they made a 2nd after I flagged and hid the first reply), but left this topic in place since there is appropriate discussion despite the fake start.

My wife has a Specialized Creo and I believe the fastest it will go is 28mph (45kph), using the assistance. After that, all the effort is based on you.

Another depends answer
Check out this for more info:

A charger supplies current to a battery at a certain level. Without current your battery will go dead. Too little current the battery will not charge. Too much the battery will fry. I’m not sure of your question.

1 Like

No direct answer. The laws controlling e-bikes (in the US) aren’t consistent from state to state. There are federal guidelines, but they aren’t implemented in every locale.

In the US, most e-bikes are limited to either 20 or 28mph. You can pedal past those limits if you’re strong enough.

Some e-bikes can be easily unlocked for more speed, but in most places, that makes them a motorcycle (at which point, it should be used on the road, with a M stamp on your license, registration/insurance, etc). Of course, more than a few riders unlock their bikes and use them in bike lanes or mountain bike trails and claim ignorance when questioned - these selfish asshats will ruin e-bikes for the rest of us.

For charging, every e-bike I’ve seen uses a large charging brick to control voltage etc. None are simple USB. And most use a proprietary connector, so you can’t share a charger between bike brands.

1 Like

I’m still looking for the “opinion” part of the question.

Speed depends on legislation and how much power you can dole out. Most legislations limit electrical assistance to a set speed, which varies between 25 and 35 km/h as far as I know. You can obviously go faster, but without assistance.
All systems I’ve seen use proprietary connections between the battery and the charger. Bikes from various manufacturers that use the same battery and motor system (such as the Fazua Ride system, found on Look, Trek, Pinarello and Canyon road bikes) all share the same charger.

I have a Levo and my wife has a Turbo Creo and they don’t use the same charger, so even within brand you may not be able to share

Yeah, the plugs are based on the EV system manufacturer, as noted in a post above.

TQ, Bosch, Yamaha, Fazua, etc.

Bike brands tend to stick with one EV supplier for a line of bikes across a few years, but the market is moving so fast, you end up with things like you describe. Within Trek, I’ve seen Bosch, TQ, and I think Fazua (or maybe it was somebody else).

Chargers aside, it’s also annoying because some systems allow an auxiliary battery pack to be plugged into the charge port and others do not. That was a feature that led us to the Specialized Turbo Vado SL for my wife - the extra battery extends the range enough to do a weekend of riding or a possibly a century (on paper, we haven’t tested real world range yet).

1 Like

The charger issue is more complex than voltage and current - many of the systems have data pins in the connector and thus some intelligence in the charger. The Fazua connector, for example, has a pair of power pins, and two pairs of extra connectors.