E-Bike Rides from Strava, how to sync into TR?

Anyone know how to import my E-bike rides from Strava into TR or should I just manually put them in? I’d like to keep my TSS on track in TR but did 5 hours of e riding this weekend and not sure how to put it in. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I have had my normal rides from Strava upload no problem to TR. The problem I have is I just got on E-bike and ebike rides on Strava come up as an Activity and not a real bike ride so they aren’t transferring over to my Trainerroad and therefor I can’t assign an estimated TSS to each ride.

Probably best to contact support@trainerroad.com then.

will do. thank you!

1 Like

Hey there!

At the moment, we only pull in rides that are tagged as “Ride”, so for now, in order sync your e-bike rides, you’ll need to perform the following workaround:

1. Record workout as a “Ride”
  2. Upload the workout and wait until it shows up within TrainerRoad.
  3. Once that happens, open your ride in Strava and edit the “Type” category to “E-Bike Ride”

I will bring this issue up with our team to see what we can do to streamline this process :+1:.

2 Likes

I changed my ebike rides from workout to ride. Tried to resync and still not showing up in TrainerRoad.

Go ahead and reach out to our Support Team and we will see what we can do.

Email is support@trainerroad.com :+1:

I am a new user with a lot of e-bike rides saved at Strava. I have just realized that only my e-bike rides did not import to the TR. For new rides this workaround is not a problem, since I am not recording with Strava and I have to manually change to e-ride, but the sync is faster. Not perfect, bit it works for now. It is impossible for me to change all the past e-rides back to rides, just to be synced to TR and then back to e-rides to be fair and not to mess up segments. It seems that this old issue is nothing compared to ML, so I propose that you solve it. It was quite confusing for me, since on my regular bike I do not have power meter and when you look at TSS at the top of the calendar it looks like nothing was imported, it was, but only rides without the power data. I suppose that this has no serious effect on the TR workouts, only at the begining (don’t know if this data would be used by ML for my profile), but its a … it took couple of days to figure it out, since I was waiting three days for a fresh sync.

Has this resolved or is there a better work around? I’m very new to TR and I have a Specialized Vado e bike. I discovered that it has a power meter! So I could actually do the workouts and syncing would be optimal. Any updates would be super appreciated.

Please reach out to support@trainerroad.com so they can review the full scope of your devices, look into your specific power meter info to see the best way for your rides to be recorded.

This is absolutely ridiculous that TrainerRoad doesn’t input ebike rides, when you can train outside on ebikes with the power meter. We notified you about this over 2 years ago. When I train on my ebike, I turn on the battery, but with no assist so I can get the power readings and an even better training workout with the heavier bike.

@Nate_Pearson

1 Like

Hey @BogOlBar!

Sorry about your frustrating experience with E-Bike workouts. I’m going to bring this to the attention of the team again. In the meantime, have you tried switching the E -Bike Ride to a normal Ride in Strava?

Once you do that, the Ride should sync over to TrainerRoad.

Check out this article to learn how to do that: Change Activity Type.

The only thing you’ll want to be aware of is bagging lots of Strava Segments! However, you can simply make the activity Private to get around this.

Check out this article to learn how: Adjusting Individual Activities.

I hope this helps in the meantime!

Sure have. And to have to do that every time I log a ride in Strava and then manually suck into TrainerRoad literally sucks!

I hear ya. I’ll definitely pass the feedback on!

Bumping this 3 months later. Any update on including these e-bike rides by default? As has been noted, many ebikes actually have built in power meters and are great for outdoor workouts.

1 Like

Hi,

Any further update on this?

I do all my commuting by ebike (approx 200km/week). At first I thought it wouldn’t matter if TrainerRoad was unaware of the additional (mostly low intensity) miles but I now think my training could be better if TrainerRoad took into account the extra 5 hours or so I’m doing every week on the ebike.

The suggested workarounds (in the discussion above) are time consuming and I fully understand the frustration some other TrainerRoad users are experiencing. In my case, the workaround doesn’t seem to work! The Bosch app I use with my ebike records every ride I do and automatically syncs to Strava, where each trip is recorded as “ebike ride”, not “ride”. If I manually change them in Strava to “ride”, this doesn’t seem to get picked up by TrainerRoad despite refreshing each app multiple times and waiting a couple of days to be sure…

Even if the e-bike rides DID sync into the TR calendar without the workaround, the TR system won’t recognize it to adjust your planned structured workouts (if this is what you are expecting) within the confines of Adaptive Training… yet. Workout Levels V2 is expected to though once that releases.

For the time being, all those additional kms will account for is AI FTPD and the additional TSS and time that displays on the calendar.

Thanks, Will. I guess I was expecting too much! :grinning:

I’ll be looking forward to any improvements to the Adaptive Training that are in the pipeline…

Hey @jonathanhattrell!

We don’t have any further updates at this time. I will keep you posted if and when we do!

I checked your Calendar and it looks like your e-bike ride, completed on January 5th, was synced to TrainerRoad from Strava. Did the workaround eventually work for you?

I appreciate the following suggestion does not serve to reduce the time spent on the workaround, however if you continue to encounter issues and wish to get your e-bike ride (after it has been changed to a bike ride) into TrainerRoad, you could download the ride file from Strava (check out this article to learn how: GPX Export) and then upload the bike ride file manually in TrainerRoad. Check out this article here: Manually Import Your Rides.

Let me know if you have questions about this!

1 Like