Dumb trainer vs. Smart vs. wheel on vs. direct drive vs. power meter...*sigh*

This is what I have, old steel 8 speed MTB on an Elite Direto, total cost approx £600.

Permenant setup so nice and easy, no excuses to get on and train. On the odd occasion the wife wants to spin the seat post is on a quick release.

1 Like

If you have a shimano mtb crankset that is XTR, XT, or SLX then yes the XTR stages you linked should fit and be a 1 to 1 swap.

However, the Q-factor for ultegra will most likely be different than your current crank arm. (q-factor is the distance from pedal to pedal). So though it would install fine on your bike it would change the geometry a bit.

1 Like

What crankset do you currently have on your bike?

1 Like

SLX, so I should be good! Sweet!

Agreed! There are lots of MTB peeps here! It just seems a lot of ‘indoor training’ and associated equipment is skewed toward road. It also seems like a lot of MTB people also ride road. So it seems like all my searches ended up with ‘get a cheap road bike, put on trainer and use outside’ so that didn’t work for me.

Seems like a stages XTR arm used would be a good next step…that will be most usable for me and it sounds like it will provide the cleanest data anyway and I can use it for training or data on my outdoor rides.

Also, at this point, if I decide to get a direct drive down the road, there’s no money wasted…

A couple “final” questions

1. My XC bike is a thru axle rear, are the trainer axles pretty universal to adapt to the trainer?

2. My XC bike is setup as a 30t front (getting stronger so probably a 32t soon!) and 10 speed 11-46 rear. Will that work it will I run out of gearing on a dumb trainer?