Does Whey protein really have any affect?

It will help the same amount as if you got the protein from chicken or steak. But yes, you need protein after a workout.

2 Likes

True, 20g per meal serving is recommended. Can also get that from some beans (chickpeas, lentils, etc). Cheap as!

Get Ultragen from First Endurance. Has 20 grams of protein but also carbs and other vitamins in each serving. I find that to be the best recovery drink out there in terms of how I feel after.

2 Likes

I think its also different with the type of protein you eat. I calculated my intakes for 30% animal protein and 70% plant based protein, and it did wonders. I got this nice protein with vanilla taste that was actually better than all the other whey flavours out there, but this is a subject of taste. The levels of testosterone in your body matter a lot for muscle repair and soreness. Check out this article on the matter: https://mysupplementinspector.com/health/top-guidelines-for-healthy-testosterone-levels/

I’Is this correct ? a quick google seems to find loads of resources that indicate the magic number is between 25-30g, I’m T1 diabeic and was told off for talking protein powder as it put strain on the kidneys cus any extra that you take goes down the toilet, read “the diabetic athlete” and they mention this as well

I saw this explanation of protein intake:

(Can’t verify its accuracy)

1 Like

That’s where I get mine from. Anything on top of that (shakes, etc) always gets wasted over the … you get my wind.

There are a few brands that make clean protein. Naked is one of them, having one ingredient. Levels has two ingredients.

You may also consider increasing your intake of casein protein each evening. Casein is slow release protein and helps with recovery while you’re sleeping. Naked makes a clean casein powder, but this type of protein is found in greek yogurt and cottage cheese.

Usually 1.7-2.2g/kg of protein per day is considered best for endurance athletes

2 Likes

I posted this presentation in another thread. I dunno about the recovery and soreness part, but on the aging front it’s very important (if you value your quality-of-life, anyway) to get quality protein in regularly.

2 Likes

I’m a vegan so I do soy/pea protein. I do notice that I do get stronger and faster when prioritizing protein intake. It isn’t really obvious on the bike but at least when I go to the gym I’m able to progress week to week with more weight and more reps.

Hey Gav,

Consuming Whey protein is safe, but it may cause digestive symptoms. For better experience try a whey protein isolate or non-dairy protein.

1 Like