Ditching the saddle bag

I currently do have a saddle bag and have CO2’s stored in it, but I bring a pump with me just to be safe.

So far I’ve had one flat in 10,000KM of riding (unfortunately it was on the Muur van Geraldsbergen, in front of a crowd who got to watch me replace the tube for the first time ever on the road, no pressure there).

I like the clip on the wallet to secure it to the jersey especially, I am often worried that my keys/wallet will bounce out of back pockets.

I do the same thing but stick that bottle in a behind the saddle cage, or in a jersey pocket if I want extra water there.

I doubt a BTS bottle looks pro to most though.

1 Like

I feel like we need a photo of the OP’s whole setup in order to evaluate the pro-ness of it.

5 Likes

Second the back country research products. I use the race strap, super easy to load and swap from bike to bike. Relatively inexpensive ($20) and works great. Not ideal for multi tools since everything in the strap will get sprayed with mud and water if you’re riding when wet (think corrosion), but otherwise it’s been great for me. If you don’t like your stuff exposed I think they sell a bag you can wrap it all in and then strap it to the bike.

I load it with a tube, 1-2 CO2’s, tire levers, inflation nozzle. Then food, phone, wallet, keys in my jersey pockets.

Can’t speak to how ‘pro’ it looks but I’ve always thought it looks better than a big floppy saddle bag. It’s low profile.

2 Likes

Agreed. And that’s one hell of a place to have to fix your first road flat. Not the performance you were hoping to give that day but I bet you got a few cheers for getting up and running again.

I wanted to minimize the ‘look’ of a saddle bag on my road bike, but didn’t want to get rid of the bag entirely. So I purchased a ‘Blackburn - Barrier Micro Seatbag’.

It has just enough room for a tube, tire lever and CO2. You could probably get some flat item in there also.

I use it for my intense group ride, or short ride. It’s nice because it almost disappears, it also sit up tight under the seat so you don’t even know it is there.

I prefer being prepared rather than chancing being stuck on the side of the road.

I go back and forth on this. No love for the saddlebag. In fact, I just happened to be weighing some accessories last night and my small saddlebag came in at 77 grams. Was thinking of ditching it for a few rides, but it’s a pain to load pockets with C02, tube, tire levers and a few band aids/antiseptic, allen key on every ride.

I have taken to riding without the iPhone (260 grams), since I have an Apple watch with cellular at only 63 grams. Weight weenie? Who me?

1 Like

but but there’s no camera on the Apple Watch!

2 Likes

came across this one whilst reading this thread and browsing the web…

trying my luck in case anyone is using this one… looks pretty cool, although big

The only time anyone sees my saddle bag is when I’m pulling or pulling away. It’s a small specialized bag that tucks up under the seat and hugs the rails and seat tube tightly… doesn’t move. Has room for CO2, levers, tube, and multi-tool. I don’t carry it for crits, but have it on for everything else. I prefer to keep the jersey pockets as lightly loaded as possible.

2 Likes

Where do you put your rain jacket?

I am going toward the other side of this argument. I had an annoying saddle bag that didn’t work well on my Cervelo S3 arrow seat post, so I got rid of it and have only been using my pockets the last two years. Lately however (outside of racing), I’ve been annoyed by all the stuff in my pockets and wouldn’t mind a sadddle bag ( I don’t care about looking pro if I’m putting out more watts than you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I like the bottle idea in the cooler months, but need two bottles in warmer months… So for those who do use a saddle bag - what do you like? I want one that can carry C02, tube (maybe 2), lever and multi tool, but isn’t too bulky (so maybe I want to look sorta pro…)

In the team car.

I’m sure there’s a truckload of other etiquette issues with zero impact on performance we can point out.

2 Likes

Well the most simple answer is you either use a saddle bag or you find a comfortable solution to storing it all in your jersey pockets, that’s why they are there after all. If you ditch the saddle bag you won’t be able to use the tool bottle especially on the 100km rides because you will need both bottle cages for liquids.

Neither looks pro admittedly but I think you’ll just have to accept as an recreational cyclist the logistics of looking pro on a road bike are far too impractical. We are not pros. We are donkeys on long rides.

1 Like

I trust you have someone to go back for it for you.

1 Like

A few domestiques, of course.

1 Like

I’m going the other direction… Keeping my saddlebag and considering a handlebar bag too.

Overstuffed pockets on 5hr+ rides aren’t pro, they’re uncomfortable. Plus, it should eliminate the need for water stops, allow for more clothing options in variable weather this fall, and it’ll make the Tarmac a real conversation piece. Especially when dropping people who are following the “rules” :rofl:

9 Likes

Not a fan of saddle bags but they’re convenient and do their job well. At the end of the day, I’d rather fix it than push it.

As for CO2 canisters in my rear pockets. No thanks. Chap round this way crashed a few years back and the end result wasn’t pretty.

Handlebar bag

1 Like