Cyclist’s Syndrome / Pudendal Neuralgia, recovery advise and how to move forward?

I rode Haleakala today :muscle:

1 Like

Hello,

First, I hope you get better, I also got similar symptoms in the past and I know it really sucks to feel that kind of thing there.

About 4 years ago I had a crash and changed my old emonda alr, for an emonda SL. Why is this relevant? Because the saddle was slightly different and I thought it would be the same, being just a step up in the range of the same model of bike I had before.

Shortly after getting my new bike, I started getting pain, numbness, etc … Which was very alarming. I considered quitting cycling.
I gave a new saddle and different shorts a shot, and it made a world of difference for me. I think I was lucky, I think you have already done what I did.

Good luck with your doctor’s medical advice, I hope you are back riding soon

Hi @ValeCyclist , @Anchorman ,
On your recommendations, I have booked myself in for an appointment with Gerard Greene. Will keep you posted.

How are you both doing with your recovery?

Cheers,
Abhi

Hiya Abhi
Hope all well
I haven’t recommended anyone but rehab is going ok . Have seen Gerard and like him.
Not sure how much of this is the meds , the time or the Physio just pleased to be at a constant 3/10 and not 6/10
I always have a burning / tingling in the perineum and am not sure will ever cycle again but that’s ok as long as can get sort of normal
Good luck
Best wishes

1 Like

I’m pretty good thanks, I can ride every day really, did a 6 hour ride last month, I still have to be conscious of not holding tension in my glutes and pelvic floor though, I’m not sure why I do that, maybe a stress thing who knows.

I do still get an odd sensation of I sit for too long, it helps if I keep my hip angle as open as possible, I’ve no doubt there is some sort of muscle hypertension there somewhere or maybe mild nerve irritation which could be sorted out but it’s not enough of an inconvenience at the moment.

1 Like

@ValeCyclist, @Anchorman,

Good to hear. I hope I can get back to some cycling and the same for Anchorman…just relieved now thanks to this forum and my initial session with Gerard that I know what I am suffering from…I have had on and off flare ups for 3 years and now have had constant pain for 8 months which the NHS GP, physio and spinal surgeon kept calling chronic non specific back pain!

1 Like

Yes, a hugely neglected and misunderstood area, luckily there is Gérard, there aren’t many like him. Is he suspecting muscular or nerve as a cause?

I have just had my initial session (2 days ago) and he gave some belly breathing exercises to do in functional positions and report back…he said that the ultrasound showed him some muscular dysfunction but I have severe nerve referral to my toes and heels…which the NHS kept saying is sciatica and gave me more core exercises to do…that in turn made my pelvic floor worse…so Gerard asked to stop everything and just relax my pelvic area which has already resulted in a 50% reduction of discomfort but I still get lingering pain if I sit or do belly breathing while squatting which is one of the positions he asked me to try…

Fingers crossed and hoping it is muscular or just nerve irritation. It came on after 300 miles of hilly stuff that I did with a new saddle last December…

Very similar to what I think caused mine, a new saddle and a series of 200km audaxes.

How do i sent a PM , pls help

i have PN to pls help

Hello
Read the above thread , there’s loads of useful information from really good people

Hi Abhijit
I’ve found some relief from meds
Gabapentin ( now on pregabalin)
Baclofen
Amititryplne ( sp?)
I don’t think I’ll be able to cycle again but remain hopeful
Have sold some bikes to pay for treatment
I’m in a stable state with some terrible flares once a few weeks which knock me back
The deep breathing and stretches and hot baths provide some relief
Good luck !

Hi @Anchorman,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am on Amitriptyline as well.
The deep breathing works well for me but the relief is short-lived…about 1 hour post completion of the breathing exercises.

For me, the stretches I was doing (without pain for several years) have all suddenly become painful…
Hip flexor, piriformis, yoga downward dog, pigeon pose etc…so I have given up on them a few months ago…

What stretches seem to work for you?

Good luck to you as well with the recovery!

Abhi

Hi , i have commpresion on the alcock canal area , and other relly bad symptoms , pls help

Hi Marius , sorry to hear
how did you get diagnosed ?
Read all the threads above for useful info.
I’ve found time , no bike , PT and meds help. Hot baths also.
Best of luck
Thanks

Hi Abhi
Re stretches …
I do all the headache in pelvis book ones and also the ones listed in this thread above
I don’t know what works best by wide leg V bridge helps me I think
I don’t know how the stretches could be harmful
I miss the bike so much

Agree 100%. A good care team will throw the kitchen sink at it: PT, nerve pain meds, yes even psychotherapy etc. Two key treatment modalities are the last ones any good cyclist wants to accept: no bike and more time than you ever dreamed it would take. But it’s OK. Time flies. Many of us are back to cycling and competition after some pretty bad cases (mine was, IMO). It takes rest and a ton of time but it’s time well spent.

None of the above is medical advice. Just what many have reported in this thread as effective. IMO the most important thing is that you need to find a physician that’s willing to familiarize themselves with the latest research and apply it to your case.

1 Like

Thanks @Anchorman,

I have bought the headache in the pelvis book…I wonder if there is anything that specifically helps the obturator internus muscle relax…I have had this sitz bone pain since the beginning which I just thought was my new saddle but I am learning from research that it may have been a sign that the OI muscle wasn’t happy and in spasm…

Therawand with Gerard helps but temporarily.

Also, did anyone have clicky hip flexors (snapping hip) before PN symptoms started? I have had super tight hip flexors for a year now and stretching just seems to make them ache more…

Somehow glad I stumbled upon this thread. Dealing with a burning sensation right at the tip of my penis since last November. Never made the connection to my road bike but visited several urologist and hat two courses of antibiotics although no pathogens were found.

Just took one week of the bike and immediately got better. But as road biking is my biggest hobby, I somehow have to find the cause for this.

Like explained by some, the burning usually starts 24 hours later in the evening; never in the morning, almost always while sitting, never while laying down and walking.

I have read a study that concluded that cut out saddles actually put pressure on the pudendal nerve which sounds strange, but interestingly my saddle position was raised by 3cm last November and the saddle was switched from an Ergon SR to a Specialized Power with huge cutout…