Cycling Shoes: Very Picky

Thanks.

I decided to go with Shimano RC701. They haven’t arrived yet and I will try them outside next week assuming the fit is ok.

Cheers.

2 Likes

XC701 is pretty good for me (same shoe as RC701?). definitely a good fit for my reasonably wide foot.
Had some Fizik X5’s thet I had to send back, that were a nicer shoe but they just didn’t fit me.

I have a pair of wide Sidis, predecessors of these shoes from the looks of things. I don’t like them very much as shoes, but they are wide (I had to buy running shoes in superwide for reference). What I do like is that Sidi sells parts separately (I had to replace the front clasp of one of my shoes recently.)

Damn, my feet are the same width as yours, but 23 mm shorter, and fairly tall too. No wonder I find it hard to get shoes that fit well! I ordered a pair of Lake shoes in Wide (I can’t remember which model, but one of the cheapest ones) and the width and length were fine, but heigth wise, my foot got totally squished. So much, that it hurt wearing them for less than a minute :frowning:

With other shoes I find, that the outer part of my foot sticks out further than the insole, and the continual pressing down on that edge causes painful calluses :frowning:

I got bont shoes, the cheaper Riot ones.

So far theyre definitely better than my old Giro

1 Like

My foot dimensions are 276x111mm and 275x114mm. On paper, Bont 45 wide shoes should work for me, and I rode a couple older model for years with no complaints. But recent Bonts are too low-volume for me. Since the uppers have no give to them, if they’re too tight, they don’t get any better.

I loved Lake’s CX241, and their new CX242 is even better, with just a bit more width in the toebox. The best thing about these shoes is that the upper is split into compliant panels that conform to the 3D shape of your foot. It looks sort of weird at first, but it works really well. Once you tighten them, there are no pressure points, just a nice even hold across your foot. The heel counter is heat-moldable. They have leather and microfiber models.

I have the mountain bike Riot+, and they are a great shoe. The stiffness for such an inexpensive shoe is off the charts. And the toe box is super roomy.

I thought the new S-Works variants were expensive, but damn! $1,300+ for a pair of cycling shoes!?!!

1 Like

You get what you pay for. If you want a shoe that fits perfectly built around a custom footbed, Lamson really is it. The shoes are built bespoke by hand, and they last for many years.

Something important to keep in mind is that very few shoe companies make an actual wide shoe. What they do is make a higher volume upper atop the standard sole which does not give the foot proper support which can lead to many differing foot problems like bunions. High volume vs wide soled are the thing to be on the lookout for. With that said I had a problem with a tailors bunion caused directly by a too narrow Vittoria shoe which had me on a search for something better suited. That search lead me to Lake. They produce actual wide soled shoes and additionally, through their custom program wide and extra wide are available. I took the risk and ordered some extra wide shoes that I immediately took on a 70 mile ride in 103 degree heat with not a single issue. If they could be problem free with that level of foot swelling I determined I’d found a solution. Up to that point I had tried Sidi and Giro without long term success. Northwave do seem to work but I would not hesitate to go with Lake again even at $500/pair. The pain is not worth it.

1 Like

People will have tested it, it may just not be in the public domain.

Lets be honest though, if it was easy enough to test and put a number on it, we wouldnt have these arbitrary scales on every different manufacturers shoes e.g ‘stiffness index’. Marketing would also be all over it.

I would be inclined to think stiffness index is more for sensory/comfort rather than actually watt saving.

Stiffer shoes feel better in most instances, except when you have to run, like in CX.

I am not sure as to wide, but for the most rear-ward cleat placement available, Fizik Vento Infinito have been great. I couldn’t get the clear rear-ward enough with SIDI or Specialized. Not a problem with the pair of Vento Infinito Knit Carbon 2 that I have. I actually can go even more towards the heel if I wanted to.

Fizik tends to run narrow but they do have wide options. I can not say if they are “true” wide as noted above or just a wide upper.

The day shoes companies learn to provide width of feet that fits the shoe will be a good day… there is no one better in this manner than lake. I am opposite - narrow feet and probably will go with lakes as I cannot fit any decent shoe in store (except specialized).

1 Like