Cycling Getaway for Winters (Where are you going?)

I Imagine a lot of people, especially those in the northern part of the United States, all of Canada, anyone living north of the Alps, or countries like China, Japan or South Korea, are looking to get away from the winter cold, rain, dark and wind.
Where are you headed in the next few months? I imagine this thread can be used as an inspiration for some, who seek for cool (errr hot) places to ride a bike, and also as a potential places for people to organize meetups etc.

I’ll start with sharing my pretty uninspired vacation of choice: South Tenerife.
Why:

• 5 hour direct flight (Visa-free from the EU)
  • over 20C daily highs
  • tons of great hotels/ rentals
  • ~3 hours more daylight than northern Germany
  • top 5 cycling destination in the world (at least for the climbing aficionados)

My wife and I will be spending 2 weeks there to fuel up on Vitamin D, and great cycling memories.

Looking forward to hearing your plans and recommendations

8 Likes

My turbo in the garage, because you know climate change, flying for pleasure in aircraft that burn fossil fuels is indefensible.

10 Likes

Not even gonna argue that it’s good.
For other people car travel might be an option if they live closer to the sun. Just not feasible for me and I hope there are others willing to share they vacation plans.

3 Likes

I’m off to Calpe for 15 days from next Monday, hiring a bike for 12 of them!

2 Likes

Favourite cycling destination for me is Gran Canaria. Done Majorca/Calpe etc. I like South Tenerife but GC gets it! Having to wait till March though.
If I could afford it I’d fly there one week of every month, paradise.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to climb Mt Lemmon in Tucson, Arizona. Its not that cold here, going to visit my recently retired inlaws that moved a month ago.

6 Likes

I went there last winter and I am extremely jealous after having used up most of my leave in earlier with a Calpe trip and a fortnight in Sunny Scotland. Enjoy :+1:

1 Like

Heading there in March as well. Hoping to do both sides of Lemmon.

1 Like

First weekend of March for me.

I just wrapped up a 5 night stay in Tucson. Mt. Lemmon is :ok_hand:. The descent is the highlight(the climb is great too)

1 Like

I wouldn’t hold high hopes on the backside of Lemmon in March. It’s a fantastically brutal way up though!

1 Like

Headed to the Big Island end of February. Was hoping to knock out Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. At this point I’ve given up on Mauna Loa. Still holding on to hope for Mauna Kea though.

2 Likes

From Mauna Kea you might have great seats for the eruptions on Loa!

2 Likes

Assuming saddle road isn’t closed(flows are within 5 miles​:flushed:) and the air quality isn’t horrendous!:crossed_fingers: even if it did ruin all my riding plans, I don’t think I’ll be upset, I wasn’t alive the last time ML erupted, so I’d be stoked to witness this historic event.

From Saddle Road

4 Likes

I’ve had friends ride it the last week of March a couple of times with no snow at all. Same time frame I’ll be there so I’ll hope for the best. Worst case there will still be other great rides and I’ll be out of the cold, snow, and wind of Manitoba.

1 Like

Absolutely! It’s not a given that it’ll be snow and ice by any means! If you enjoy suffering, it’s for sure worth it!

1 Like

I hope you get lucky. MK is the one that got away for me. Was there last year, and the peak was too snowy in early January, so I went ML instead. One day I’ll return for this one:

6 Likes

I’m leaving Ohio for SoCal (Malibu) in January for a week of riding. Then back to SoCal (Encinitas) for 10 days at the end of February. Santa Monica Mountains around Malibu is one of my all time favorite places ever to ride a bike.

4 Likes

A great website I have used for inspiration (both for places to go, and rides to do there) is Epic Road Rides:
https://epicroadrides.com/destinations/

They do everything from “where to stay” and “when to go” to pre planned GPX files, bike rental recommendations, cafe stops, and tons more.

I followed their advice for rides in England, and those were proper gems.
The two long rides I have planned for Tenerife are taken from their site, too, and I am so looking forward to those!

8 Likes

I haven’t done the northside of the island but done most of those roads last November; my favourite was the Masca loop as it varied more. We never did the lighthouse though that looks awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like