Curious observations after 10 days complete off training

Hey guys,

Went on holidays for 10 days completely off the bike, but when I came back onto a trainer to get back to previous form, few things surprised me… Perhaps you have some insight into why?

Muscular endurance went down, which I assume is normal, but my max sprint power went up!

Cadence went up…

HR / power ratio went up, which, again, I think is expected, but max HR went up and how I felt in that zone was also a lot better for some reason. Previously being 10 beats lower was already causing me getting somewhat faint. Wonder why I haven’t seen these extra 10 beats ever before?

A lot less sweat at same temps…

Was I overtraining?

Many thanks

As I don’t know what your training up to this point looks like, I couldn’t comment. What I’m more inclined to say is that after 10 days off the bike, you’re more likely to be completely rested and recovered.

6 Likes

Doubt you were truly overtraining if you feel better after only 10 days. You were just tired and had plenty of fatigue though and now you’re just fresh.

2 Likes

What has happened with that time off the bike is that you will have lost a little bit of fitness, lost fatigue and gained form.

3 Likes

I’d say this is normal as well given your time off. When I’m training consistently in the heat I find that (both on the bike and off) I begin sweating more quickly and sweat a higher volume. My understanding is that this is a normal heat adaptation. When you take time off you lose this adaptation so you sweat less. I don’t think this is necessarily a good thing.

1 Like

Thanks guys, so, perhaps, this boils down to importance if having rest now and then. I wasn’t training that much really, 8-10h / 400-600 TSS, about 300km per week, but since last season I took no break at all. During holidays, it was mostly hiking and driving. I will now try to see how long it takes to get back to usual performance…

I’ve often seen that max power can go up after a short (4/5 days) time off. I just put this down to the fact your body has absorbed the training from before and you’re not carrying any fatigue.