COVID-19: US races/cycling events that have been cancelled

Cascade is still maybe, although Gorge is being rescheduled. I got this email from Chad Sperry this morning:
/-----
By now you may have heard that Oregon Governor Kate Brown is canceling all gathering over 250 people where social distancing of a minimum of three feet cannot be maintained for the next 4 weeks.

The Gorge Gravel Grinder will fall into this timeframe and therefore we are planning to reschedule the race in later months. Please be patient as we are working very hard to quickly determine that date. We have a large number of permitting agencies and community partners that we must reach out to in order to make this change while continuing to monitor public health advisories.

April 5 will mark the 4 week large event mandetory cancellation window. We will wait until the end of March to determine the status of Cascade Gravel Grinder scheduled for April 24- 26 as this race may too need to be rescheduled. Please understand both events will NOT be cancled but rescheduled.

In the event you are not able to attend the Gorge Gravel Grinder on the rescheduled date you can rollover your entry to another Breakaway Promotions event of equal value in 2020 or 2021. No fees will be charged for the rollover.

1 Like

Rasputitsa Gravel Race in Burke, VT has been rescheduled to July, 25th.

Poor weather and mud were some of the defining traits of this race in April, so it’ll be interesting to see how it is in the summer.

I know! My club runs the race. I was planning on having a strong start to the season. It was out of our hands once the Army Corps of Engineers pulled the permit.

No Gila this year.

1 Like

Broader than the US, but fairly encompassing:

1 Like

Cape Epic has been canceled.

BWR has not been postponed yet. They’re going to make the final decision by April 2nd.

Ron

2 Likes

Thank you for the correction!

The Rattler is my A race too. I’m kind of concerned and I’ve been looking around and haven’t seen that it was cancelled yet. Hope to see everyone there!!

Tour of WallaWalla and Tour de Bloom have stated they are going ahead regardless. Given they are in WA state i almost feel this is irresponsible at this point, but we’ll see.

Hell of Hunterdon (April 5th, NJ, about 1,000 riders) hoping to reschedule later in the year.

Other “spring series” events in NJ and NY being cancelled for this weekend.

1 Like

Most likely ToWW will be canceled. Not sure about TdB but I’m guessing they will follow suit too. Formal announcement to follow soon from both directors.

Currently there is one patient in the hospital in Walla Walla who is from Oregon. There are no other reported cases in Eastern Washington. (I’m in Spokane, libraries and schools have been closed. Shows and meetings cancelled.)

Redlands Strada Rosa is postponed. Looking for a new date, refunds are available.

1 Like

Barry Roubaix is still on the schedule, but they are laying to ground work to postpone it. Looking at a tentative Oct 3 date as the reschedule date, per an e-mail from them today.

No way those races go.

Baitin’ The Shark gravel race in St. Louisville, OH is postponed

I would hope not, but the problem is (and i am not saying this is the case for either WW or TdB) you have small town race directors who have zero background in medicine and health, and these are the people making the call whether to proceed or not. USAC and other Federal Orgs need to step in and say they won’t be awarding points for races held until date XYZ. While they cannot cancel what they don’t control, they can remove affiliations.

2 Likes

All the CO races for the next month have been cancelled: Pueblo Classic, Louisville Criterium, Oredigger Classic TT, CSU Cobb Lake Omnium…

It’s the right move but :sob: this was gonna be my first road race season

Here’s the official blurb for ToWW…

From the ToWW Promoters:

To all the cyclists preparing for the Tour of Walla Walla:

We know there has recently been speculation and concern about whether the TOFWW would take place this year. With much regret, we have had to cancel the 2020 TOFWW. The Governor of Washington announced Friday afternoon that all events with 250 or more people in attendance will not be allowed for the next 6 wks. We were anticipating that this would happen and had been considering that move given the current state of uncertainty, but we were still holding out hope that the race would take place, unfortunately this is not the case.

It was shaping up to be a fantastic year for the Tour and we were looking forward to a great event along with the Tour of Washington. This will be only the second time in 23 years that this spring classic has not taken place. As before the race will be missed and we will miss seeing the racers.

Looking ahead to May 21-23, 2021 we will be ready for the return of stage racing in Walla Walla. Remember, we are changing dates next year! All riders that are registered for this year’s race will have their registration transferred to the 2021 race. Please contact us if other arrangements need to be made.

We wish you good health and hope that you support later season races and events that are rescheduled. Be sure to come and see us in September for the Walla Walla Grit gravel event/race – registration will open soon on BikeReg.

Until next year!

Michael and Kathryn Austin – TOFWW Race Directors.

I’m sure TdB will have their announcement either postponing or canceling all together. WA state is just in too uncertain and unpredictable given the circumstances with the numbers as other states & countries are discovering.