Constant Zwift Advertising

I get the concept and recognise that Zwift have changed the landscape but I don’t like aggressive branding. Particularly in something which is a pretty well established concept.

1 Like

But if they’re not careful it becomes a generic noun that no longer qualifies for trade mark protection (rather like Hoover/hoovering) and the brand value disappears. Not much chance of this for TrainerRoading . . . .

That is Zwift’s choice to have that TM or not. I doubt they care or plan to do so. It is free advertising for them and they effectively become the defacto standard as such.

It’s not like TrainerRoad, The Sufferfest, etc. are likely to use the term for their needs. The only people likely to use it are live riders and customers of Zwift already.

My complaint was more where I’ve seen ‘Zwifting’ used in various cycling media outlets as a stand in for indoor/turbo training. In the context it doesn’t seem like paid promotion, just a shorthand.

I guess it’s impossible to tell if they’ve got a partnership with Zwift or not but it seems like they are so ubiquitous that some places are reinforcing the idea that they are the default option.

1 Like

Funny. I have a Zwift subscription. I read Zwift-related sites often and watch Zwift-related videos on YT several times a week.

I don’t see many Zwift ads. Lots of Apple Watch ads featuring women completing their rings on YT (I’m not fond of Apple, so not interested) and a certain truck that “is the bar” (I drive a Prius, so also not interested). On certain cycling websites I always see social issue ads for a certain bank (a campaign that doesn’t identify the bank until you click through, but it’s the same ad every single time, so I know who it is).

Maybe you’re just living wrong. :slight_smile:

Between ublock origin and privacy badger, I rarely see any ads at all. It’s always funny when one of them nukes a post on FB because I can see it disappear

2 Likes

I pay for YouTube Premium so I don’t get ads. I also pay Strava Premium so I don’t get ads too. If you’re using ‘free’ services, remember: you’re not the customer, you’re the product.

And please, can we go bellyache about Zwift on the Zwift forum? I have no idea why people post on the TR forum about Zwift.

Off Topic category is open for many discussions. There are many users present who use both apps actively (me included) so some crossover is likely. We cover other apps as well, when people want to discuss them.

If you don’t like or have interest in a particular topic (this thread title is clear and direct) , it’s easy to avoid… just scroll on past and find something else of interest.

I think I’m going to complain about Zwift on the TrainerRoad forum…

1 Like

Fair enough @mcneese.chad. It is in the off-topic forum. We should rename it ‘This has nothing to do with us’… :sunglasses: