Confession time: What’s the dumbest thing you’ve done in the name of cycling?

I know you said nothing.
BUT what about a gen 3 Apple Watch, then drive away?
asking for a friend

11 Likes

No coffee. Particularly if you’re driving around with your windows open. It’s hard explaining to people how you spilled a coffee over your shoulder and back.

10 Likes

Oh sure, NOW you tell me. :unamused: :rofl: I’m a slow learner, obviously.

2 Likes

I’d never forget my coffee on the car… Keys? Sure, apparently.

1 Like

Paying money to race 12h in muddy trails with constant downpour of rain and snow. And wanting it to do again right after.

4 Likes

I met up with a buddy to go mtn biking once. He had a soda from the fast-food joint where we met up. He went to put the soda on top of the car before digging something out of his pocket. Unfortunately, my sunroof was open. Should I also mention that my car was only about 3 months old at the time? Coke, spilled, all over the inside of my brand-new car.

Buddy was very embarrassed. He paid to have the car cleaned.

After that, I am very quick to point out to people if the sunroof is open, and I generally don’t put things on top of the car anyway.

8 Likes

Disaster day.

8 Likes

Every time I had a serious crash I started training again too quickly.

3 Likes

Riding a new MTB out the front window of one of my building sites while wearing steel capped boots on clipless pedals. Window removed for access with a 3ft drop off the still. Something you could roll over with a little speed.
My Foot slipped off one of the pedals as I went to bunny hop off the edge at low speed.
I smashed into the top tube before trying to stop the inevitable OTB and resulting face plant ( without a helmet).

Literally my first ride on the bike as I’d picked it up during my lunch break. Bruised the crap out of my inner thigh and took bark off my face, but the bike was ok.

Nobody saw it except the security cameras so I quickly threw the bike in the ute and drove off. It never happened!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

That’s the stuff of Epic Fail videos on YouTube. :laughing:

1 Like

Is “giving up learning how to ride after a really bad bonk and then not getting back on a bike for 10 years” dumb? Now that I’ve gotten back in the saddle, it sure feels like it. I gave up too easily. Fear won.
I’m looking back on So. Much. Wasted. Time.

My (then) shiny new Giant TCR had 250 miles on it, I bonked hard on a hot day with no food (went from warm to hot to dehydrated to delirious and unable to stand), it scared the crap out of me, so I let a new bike gather dust for 7 years then sold it. Now? Got the guts to try again, riding the hubby’s old bike until I’m TOTALLY SURE I’m gonna stick it out. I WILL stick it out because I’m learning how to eat on the bike.

7 Likes

I don’t know if that’s dumb; I think it’s understandable. I still battle a mental block about engaging in field sprints after my worst crash happened in one and had little to do with actually sprinting. The mind can be our best weapon, and Is most often our worst enemy.

I want the CCTV from when one of my mates drove his shiny new Audi into a parking garage with the bike on top.
I asked him what happened to the roof and he told me not to ask. His wife filled me in.

There have to be some better stories amongst the TR crowd. Proper dumb moves.

6 Likes

I drove in to a parking garage with my bike on top. I got really lucky. It scuffed the top of my seat and it pushed down my rack a bit and then I realized it and stopped. I almost had a heart attack.

I think my number two bone head move is driving a few hours for a bike race and forgetting the shoes.

Another bone head move was thinking I could learn some brazing with a hand held torch. I had a nice old Raleigh with no braze-ons. Needless to say I ruined that frame and ended up tossing it.

3 Likes

It takes real courage to share your own stupidity (he says to make himself feel better).

This is why I would never trust myself with a roof rack… I’ll put a hitch on my Honda first!

2 Likes

After getting to the dirt parking lot for an organized ride, I was parked on a slant with the right side of the car leaning down. I didn’t grab the bike well enough when I unlocked the front fork mount and the whole bike went tumbling off the right side across the roof. Luckily, the guy next to me was parked far enough away that my bike didn’t scratch his car.

So embarrassing … :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

A 100km very hilly audax through the Cotwolds fuelled solely on watered down coconut milk. A one off experiment on the fuelling benefits of medium chain triglycerides. It didn’t end well despite completing the event :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

1 Like

Life is a comedy of errors at the best of times. If you can’t laugh at yourself, you’re taking yourself too seriously.

5 Likes

I had a loose, untightened headset and my handlebars moves independently from my front wheel using very little force. I realized it about 1 minute before my race was about to start. A road race in the mountains :smiley:

So as there was no time to mend it I did a very stupid thing - I raced with it. And, hopefully, didn’t hit any pothole and didn’t crash. Both scary and stupid.

1 Like