Cold rain - suggestions?!

I used to cycle through snow and ice to work wearing waterproof socks with an extra inner pair of socks (Sealskins). Worked well for warmth. Only 45 minutes though. Realistically, longer rides your feet will always sweat though and none of these gore-tex type materials wick away water quick enough.

Wet doesn’t matter really if your feet stay warm though (single day: don’t want to risk trench foot…).

Are your cycling shoes big enough for 2 pairs of socks? I deliberately bought a pair big enough for two. If you can wear a normal thermal pair and then over them some waterproof ones.

[pick up some free newspaper now, to stuff in your shoes on your return. Putting on chilly damp shoes is grim…]

After logging tens of thousands of commuting miles in all weathers in the UK, I found there was only one way to really keep your feet dry when it’s pouring with rain. And that is fully waterproofed boots or overshoes that go above the ankle, and fully waterproof over trousers secured snugly over the top of them. I used ankle high MTB boots, but you could achieve the same effect by taping up the holes in the bottom of your shoes and using a waterproof overshoe like the Velotoze or something made of Goretex (not neoprene).

Nothing else works. Make the shoe waterproof but fail to use the over trousers and water just gets in the top and then has nowhere to go so your shoes fill up (very unpleasant!). Waterproof socks have the same problem. I tried a couple of brands of bib tights that were supposed to have water resistant treatment and pulled them over the top instead. No joy - the water beads beautifully on them when you’re in a light shower, but if it gets heavy enough they end up saturated, so at best they delay the inevitable.

If you don’t want to wear over trousers for a 100 mile ride, then you need to accept your feet are getting wet and focus on keeping them warm and comfortable while wet. That means socks made of merino or other fabric that works well while wet. Neoprene overshoes to protect from wind chill and keep the worst of the rain out (while still being porous enough to let out the water that does get in). Similar principle applies to the rest of your upper body, if it’s wet enough then that water is getting in somewhere and/or you’ll get sweaty, so good base layers that stay warm and comfortable while wet are key. Good luck!

1 Like