Coggan’s Physiological Adaptation Chart

Tough? The way I look at it - doing intervals outside gives me greater cadence/torque agility and makes me stronger.

I’m not arguing against doing workouts outdoors, I’d do more of them if I would lose at least 2 x 30 minutes just getting to roads suitable for hard workouts. Also, my point wasn’t to say it is tougher to do steady state work outdoors, it is that it feels a bit unnatural as it often runs counter to how I’d pace terrain where it is advantageous to maintain momentum e. g. to power over a small kicker.

But certainly, I’d train outdoors much more if I had the time.

Your point has been you ride outside and train inside. So of course it feels natural to maintain speed outside and ignore power. But that’s not training, it’s riding.

Yes, because that’s at present the best use of my time. I ride outdoors once a week on the weekend, during the week, I train indoors. Although my outdoor rides almost always have a training purpose (e. g. cornering, bike handling skills, Z2, …).

Learning to pace yourself, navigate terrain, corner and riding offroad are all part of training in my book. Cycling isn’t just about fitness, but other skills. Today I went scouting for new trails, for example, because one of my staple trails now looks like this :scream: (This used to be a >2 wide path.)

The last two weekends, I did mellow endurance rides. If I did have the time to move more of my “fitness” part of training outdoors, then I’d pay attention to my power targets.

3 Likes

what is the best - latest ?..

on Trainingpeaks there’s another table…i dont know what is better,accurate?