Clipping out of pedal (shimano)

I just started riding clipless outside (Shimano SPD). We swapped the cleat for a model that is a little “easier” to get unclipped because it has a chamfer edge. I never clip in until I’m passed the multi-start/stop of my ride starts. And then I just clip in and out while I’m riding to get the feel of it.

Learned the hard way to always unclip both feet at this level of experience, no matter what. Because if you only unclip right - no matter that you always dismount right - you will absolutely try to put your left foot down and OUCH.

I realized after my race on Saturday that I never actually thought about my feet being clipped in until I was crossing the finish line - not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

You’ll be fine, seriously.

You’ll fall a few times, but it probably won’t be your first time out, or hundredth. It’ll be when you think you ARE super pro and never need to unclip. Then you’ll be stopped at some intersection, and a car will be coming from one side a little too hot to safely assume they’re going to stop at the sign. Suddenly you’re not standing still unclipped for five seconds, but like eight or ten…longer than you were planning. Over you will go.

Or so I’ve heard…I’d NEVER do that….

And sadly more then once.

Ride your bike a lot “like a pro” and you will get better at a lot of things. Skills.

1 Like

In addition to what has been suggested previously I’ll add planning. If you can anticipate a stop, clip out well before you come to a stand still. It’s much easier to do one thing at a time.

1 Like

Reduce spring tension as much as possible, unclipping is easiest near the bottom of the pedal stroke (6-7 o’clock), practice… eventually it gets second nature but before that happens just make peace with the fact you will tip over ungraciously at a traffic light with everyone watching, we all did…

I very often balance in standing postion, I often jump a little bit with my bike (in standing position) and only clip out when I can’t anymore, which gave me quite a bit of confidence and feeling or I can continue riding without unclipping after 1 or 2 minutes or so

Apologies for derailing slightly, but once clipping in and out is second nature do you all increase spring tension?

I’ve always backed tension way off from the start, and have just ridden/raced that way ever since. I’ve never accidentally unclipped or anything. Is there something I’m missing by continuing to have lower spring tension?

I use the red shimano cleats, as I can use them with no discomfort, and figured there may be a fraction of efficiency gained.

1 Like

i use the grey ones and have hardest spring tension because i like short and hard sprints out of the saddle, so i want to go sure for no unclipping during a sprint