Cleaning Matte Black Frames

Yes, but how do I clean my frame?

5 Likes

Give SuperClean a shot.

SuperClean

+1
these do the trick for me and haven’t damaged the paint in 2 years of use

Kind of off topic here, but not really I guess. Ordering a new road bike tomorrow(can’t freakin wait). Trying to decide between a matte black finish and a gloss black finish. What do you like about having the matte finish? And, do you think it is easier or harder to keep clean vs. gloss?

I’ve got a fully matte black bike (Scott CR1) and a bike with gloss black. I find that the gloss wipes cleaner without using product, but the matte can get just as clean with some Simple Green (or anything else in the thread, I bet.) I find that the matte generally shows dirt, spilled nutrition, sweat, and general road grime a little worse, but it’s not drastic.

All that’s to say: There’s differences, but I wouldn’t make the choice just based on that. They’re both cleanable and if one looks super dirty, the other probably will to. I’d pick your favorite.

Might just be the tap water.

Your options are to use purified water (RO, DI, distilled, etc) to get it truly clean, or some sort of bike polish, e.g. Pedro’s Bike Lust, where you’re adding a light coating of “stuff” to mask the residue.

Agreed. I like matte frames for the look, but if the question is simply “which one looks cleaner with the least work”, it’s gloss.

1 Like

I clean with car wash and finish with 303 Aerospace protectant

My flat black bike is my gravel bike, it’s always dirty so I don’t worry about it

+1 for baby wipes