Cleaning cassette

nothing on it, just sparkling clean. enjoy!

I use Smooth Operator lube and WD-40 degreaser with a scrub brush from the kitchen aisle and my stuff always looks like new.

Mineral spirits will clean it faster than anything else if you don’t mind using them. (much faster and complete than both degreaser and gasoline)

To keep it that way - check out the waxed chain mega-thread on here. I recently converted to this - drivetrain is so quiet, smooth and stays incredibly clean now.

1 Like

Personally use simple green 1:1 to clean and degrease. Also a chain waxer now. Touchable clean drivetrain four months since last full disassembly and cleaning. Mineral spirits would work, but are harder to dispose of, though they can be recycled and reused after a few months.

1 Like

(1) ultrasonic cleaner with simple green works a treat on the cassette.
(2) mineral spirits on the chain
(3) molten speed wax on the chain

The @Jonathan recipe? It just works. No filth, no chain tattoos on your socks, etc. etc.

/thread.

2 Likes

I was also looking forward to trying ultrasonic as well but they were out of the units at our harbor freight. Now, however, I’m realizing I’ll never need one thanks to how clean things stay with the waxed chain, so worked out ok in the end. Assuming of course you have a way to store the mineral spirits safely.

1 Like

you say that now… but ultrasonic, like smooth legs, is something that once you try ‘you’ll never go back’ !!

1 Like

I made my own ultrasonic parts cleaner. I picked up a used metal ammo can and filled it full of fluid and then I strapped a palm sander to one end of it and put it on a rubber floor mat. Let it run over night and in morning everything was spotless.

Overnight??!!

Made it for cleaning some carboned up parts off my volkswagon. Car wouldn’t run it was so plugged with carbon.

1 Like

Guys, I bought Krud Kutter at Home Depot, and my drivetrain is wicked clean. Very impressed with this stuff