Choose rollers over smart trainer?

thanks for all your replies…

how do you actually connect TR to a “dumb” roller?
I understand that the E-Motions work via BT/Ant and are smart…

but what about the dumb rollers… how do you measure all the data? and how is it transferred to TR?

You would either need a Power Meter or a speed sensor on your bike with a corresponding power curve in TR. So unless your rollers had the speed sensor on it you wouldn’t actually connect TR to the rollers themselves. It would work the exact same as a dumb stationary trainer.

1 Like

I have Wahoo speed and cadence sensors on my bike, and Wahoo Bolt as well. No power meter.
Is that enough?

So far I trained on a Wahoo Kickr which measured power and all else automatically and communicated with the TR App

How would I work out in TR without a Powermeter?

1 Like

got the answer from TR via chat (great work there by the TR team!):

2 Likes

For anyone considering buying rollers I would say definitely go for it. The focus you require to keep good form (aka upright) is another element to add to the ride, always keeping it interesting.
I’ve not used a stationary trainer but on rollers you really notice all the modifications in your technique.
You don’t get an opportunity to stop pedalling or back pedal, making for another element of challenge when training.
I wouldn’t consider myself an accomplished sprinter but I have managed a standing 1100w and 165rpm, using Stages data, the Elite is a bit off target.
Learning to ride rollers also improves your balance, minimising steering and using your body weight to keep straight, i think it has kept me upright on the road after many close calls :grinning: and I can track stand at lights, always a bonus!
Hands free is a bit of fun but I have still to learn how to start unsupported.

2 Likes

Hi @AustinPT, why did you think triathletes especially should use rollers?

Why sell the Kickr when you could put it on the E-flex platform? It’s got motion similar to the rollers but costs a lot less.

What do you mean? E-Flex-Plattform?

EDIT: found it, dont like it. I actually use the same bike I use on the Kickr also outside, almost daily.
So already now I am bothered by constantly having to take of the wheel and put the bike on the Kickr. Now even taking off the front wheel is not an option.

My idea is to simply put the bike on the rollers and go. I will give it a try

1 Like

Smart rollers are where it is at! I love mine. I use a local Japanese product:

Q1.1 GT-ROLLER with the smart power add-on. Here is an example of a ramp test that I did today without changing gears even once:

2 Likes

excellent - looks great. But I guess going via Virtual Power does not make a big difference.

Virtual power is an estimate, and can differ quite a bit from measured power. It’s very important to keep things like tyre pressure the same for all workouts, or you won’t train in the correct zone. You’ll need to do a new ftp test with virtual power, and it might be completely different from your ftp on the kicker, but as long as you keep your training system constant, you should be able to train fine with it.

true, but for me as an amateur leisure kind of rider who just wants to stay fit I dont need all this super precise data. I
And I dont think the measuring of power with my Kickr has always been superprecise anyway.

Absolutely no shame in using a dumb trainer with virtual power! :wink: Using a dumb trainer could be seen as a positive from the perspective that it forces you to learn to train by feel, something I need to keep reminding myself to pay attention to.

1 Like

I have been using Virtual Power on my rollers since I started and never had an issue. The most difficult type of interval is microbursts (15/15s) as often by the time you’re up to power the interval is almost over and the gear changes from 40% to 120% need to be very quick, but you get used to it. Same with sometimes overshooting power at the start of an interval as you wait for the virtual power to catch up. Nothing serious though and any interval over 15-20 seconds is all good.

I know that my virtual power number is way off my actual power. Will be finding out by how much this week when I do first test with new 4iiii power meter (although am going to run virtual at the same time for comparison).

3 Likes

a lot of triathletes come from non-cycling backgrounds and lack good handling skills. rollers are a great way of learning balance, pedal stroke efficiency, holding a line, engaging core muscles while riding. don’t get any of that on a fixed trainer

3 Likes

+1 on this. I"m pretty comfortable on my rollers on my road bike, no problem grabbing bottles/food or riding no hands. When I ride my TT bike on the rollers in the aerobars, it requires a next level of attention for me. You get used to it, but it’s a challenge. Will force you to be smooth, engage core, etc.

2 Likes

Yeah, I tried TT on my standard rollers. Couldn’t quite master it (lasted about 10min with frequent “saves” riding in the door frame). Haven’t tried yet with the Elite quick motion, guessing maybe 1 degree easier. “next level” describes it well

thanks once again for all your input. Ordered the Elite Quiick Motion dumb roller today. Looking forward to try it out.

We will see what will happen with my kickr then.

3 Likes

if you’ve used old school rollers, you’ll really enjoy these. if you have a power meter on your bike, you can easily connect and do TR workouts

2 Likes

Hi, I dont have a Powermeter and dont plan to get one.
I will use Virtual Power and I guess this will absolutely suffice for my needs as a laid back amateur

2 Likes