ChatGPT Answers Training Questions

I finally got around to getting access and wanted to see what I’d get when asking some of the FAQ’s we see around here. I will make a separate comment for each question. Feel free to chip in and see how AI can fix all our training problems :stuck_out_tongue:

https://chat.openai.com/chat

14 Likes

Should I use ERG mode for indoor cycling training?

• ERG mode, or “Electronic Resistance Control” mode, is a feature found on some indoor cycling trainers that allows you to set a specific power output, measured in watts, and the trainer will adjust the resistance to maintain that output. This can be useful for structured training, as you can set specific targets and track your progress.
  • However, it’s important to note that ERG mode is not necessary for indoor cycling training, and many riders find it beneficial to do some of their training in “simulation” mode, where the resistance is adjusted manually to simulate outdoor riding conditions. Ultimately, whether or not to use ERG mode will depend on your personal preferences and goals for your training.
3 Likes

How long should I wait to restart training after having a cold?

• It is generally recommended to wait until you have fully recovered from a cold before restarting any physical activity, including training. This may take a few days to a week or more, depending on the severity of your cold.
  • It is important to listen to your body and not push yourself too hard while you are still recovering. It may be beneficial to consult with a doctor or other medical professional if you have any concerns or questions about when it is safe for you to resume training.
3 Likes

Why doesn’t my power meter match my smart trainer power data?

• There are several reasons why your power meter data may not match your smart trainer data. One possibility is that the two devices are using different methods to measure power. Power meters typically measure power at the pedal, while smart trainers measure power at the hub or flywheel. This can lead to discrepancies in the power readings.
  • Additionally, there may be calibration issues with one or both of the devices, or there may be inaccuracies in the data due to environmental factors such as temperature or humidity. It’s also possible that the software used to display the data from the devices is not correctly interpreting the data from one or both of the devices.
  • To troubleshoot this, you can try recalibrating both devices and making sure that they are connected and configured correctly. You can also try using different software or apps to display the data and see if that resolves the issue.
5 Likes

Is Polarized Training better than Pyramidal Training for cycling?

• Polarized training and pyramidal training are both methods used to structure training for endurance athletes, such as cyclists. Polarized training involves focusing on high-intensity and low-intensity training, with minimal time spent in the moderate-intensity zone. Pyramidal training, on the other hand, involves gradually building up the intensity and volume of training over time.
  • There is some evidence to suggest that polarized training may be more effective than pyramidal training for improving endurance performance in cyclists. Studies have found that polarized training leads to greater improvements in VO2 max and time trial performance than traditional endurance training.
  • However, it is important to note that these are the results of scientific studies and there is no one size fits all training method and the best one for you will depend on your goals, fitness level, and available time.
  • It is always recommended to consult with a coach or trainer who can help you design a training plan that is tailored to your specific needs and goals.
8 Likes

What is the best app for cycling training?

• There are many apps available for cycling training, and the best one for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular cycling training apps include:
  • Strava: a social fitness app that allows you to track your rides, compete with friends, and join challenges.
  • Zwift: a virtual reality cycling app that allows you to ride with other cyclists from around the world on virtual routes.
  • TrainerRoad: a cycling training app that provides structured workouts and training plans.
  • Sufferfest: a cycling training app that provides video-based training plans and workout videos.
  • Cyclemeter: a cycling app that allows you to track your rides, view detailed statistics, and create custom training plans.
  • It’s good to do some research on the apps and choose the one that best suits your needs.
3 Likes

How should I include strength training with my cycling training?

• Strength training can be beneficial for cyclists as it can help to improve power, endurance and reduce the risk of injury. To include strength training with your cycling training, you can follow these general guidelines:
  • Include 2-3 strength training sessions per week, making sure to allow for adequate recovery time between sessions.
  • Focus on exercises that target the major muscle groups used in cycling, such as the legs, core, and upper body.
  • Incorporate compound exercises, such as squats, lunges, deadlifts, and rows, which work multiple muscle groups at once.
  • Incorporate single-leg exercises such as step-ups and single-leg deadlifts to target imbalances and improve pedaling efficiency.
  • Use a moderate to high intensity and aim to progress over time by increasing weight, reps, or sets.
  • Be mindful of the timing of your strength training sessions. It’s best to avoid doing strength training on the same day as a hard cycling workout.
  • It’s important to note that everyone’s fitness level and cycling goals are different. So it’s best to consult a coach or professional for a personalized and well-rounded plan that works for you.
3 Likes

/forum

28 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one messing around with ChatGPT.

I asked it to make me a training plan:

build a training plan to increase my functional threshold power

1. Set a goal: Identify your current Functional Threshold Power (FTP) and set a goal to increase it by a certain percentage or wattage.
  2. Create a schedule: Use a training software like TrainingPeaks to create a schedule that includes at least three rides per week, with one focused on endurance, one on threshold efforts, and one on high-intensity intervals.
  3. Test and measure your FTP: Use a power meter or FTP testing protocol to accurately measure your FTP. Repeat this test every 4-6 weeks to track progress.
  4. Threshold ride: Include intervals at or above your threshold power (around 90-95% of your FTP) for 20-30 minutes with active recovery in between. This will help to improve your power endurance.
  5. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): Include short, intense intervals of 30 seconds to 2 minutes at or above your peak power (around 120-150% of your FTP) with active recovery in between. This will help to improve your maximum power output.
  6. Hill climbs: Incorporate hill climbs into your training to improve power and endurance. Aim for climbs of at least 5-10 minutes in duration, with a moderate to hard effort.
  7. Sweet spot training: include sweet spot training (around 88-93% of FTP) for longer periods, such as 30-60 minutes, to increase endurance at high-intensity efforts.
  8. Rest and recovery: Make sure to include rest and recovery days in your schedule and prioritize proper nutrition and hydration to support your training.
  9. Review and adjust: Regularly review your progress and adjust your training plan as needed. Use TrainingPeaks to analyze your data, identify areas for improvement, and make adjustments to your schedule and training plan to help you reach your goals.

Note: The above training plan is based on general principles and should be adjusted based on your current fitness level, experience, and goals. It is recommended to consult with a coach to fine-tune the plan according to your needs.

2 Likes

Right? :open_mouth:

That’s why I wanted to try it myself & share results. I’ve seen worse advice from humans for all of my questions… and would take these results as a fine starting point in many cases.

10 Likes

GPT and I agree, but it’s pithier:

“Is a high-end triathlon bike worth it for beginners?”

“It depends on the individual and their goals. A high-end triathlon bike can be beneficial for beginners who have the financial means and are serious about competing in triathlons. These bikes are designed for speed and efficiency, and can help improve performance and reduce fatigue during long races. However, it’s important to note that a high-end bike alone does not guarantee success in triathlons. Training and technique are also crucial factors. Additionally, beginners may want to consider renting or borrowing a high-end bike before making a significant financial investment.”

2 Likes

I’ve been using ChatGPT to write love notes to my wife. They come out pretty good.

28 Likes

The beauty of ChatGPT lies in the ability to interact with it and get it to iteratively refine the answer. So instead of stopping at “Generate a training plan for me”, start to feed it some inputs and ask it to refine based on that. For example, your event is 12 weeks out. You are training for a 5 stage race which features a lot of climbing. And so on, see where it takes you.

4 Likes

You win the internet :joy:

2 Likes

“Hey adenega, just wanted to let you know that your idea was really great and I might use it in the future. Keep up the good work!”

-CGPT :wink:

Can a 50 year old male cyclist get to a 5.0 wt/kg ratio?

It is possible for a 50-year-old male cyclist to achieve a 5.0 w/kg ratio, but it would depend on several factors such as the individual’s current level of fitness, training history, and genetics. It would also require a significant commitment to training and a consistent, well-designed training plan. Additionally, it would require a healthy and balanced diet, appropriate rest and recovery, and possibly the help of a coach or trainer.

4 Likes

“Write me an excel function to calculate based on power my cycling Acute Training Load; Cumulative Training Load and Fatigue using the Coggan model.”

30 seconds later …

Here is an example of an Excel function that can be used to calculate Acute Training Load (ATL), Chronic Training Load (CTL), and Fatigue based on power data using the Coggan model:

Copy code

Function CogganModel(powerData As Range, startDate As Date, endDate As Date)

'Calculate ATL for each day
Dim ATL As Double
For Each cell In powerData
    ATL = cell.Value
    cell.Offset(0, 1) = ATL
Next

'Calculate CTL for each day
Dim CTL As Double
For Each cell In powerData
    If cell.Row = 1 Then
        CTL = ATL
    Else
        CTL = (0.9 * (powerData(cell.Row - 1, 2))) + (0.1 * ATL)
    End If
    cell.Offset(0, 2) = CTL
Next

'Calculate CTL for the period
Dim CTLPeriod As Double
CTLPeriod = WorksheetFunction.Average(powerData.Columns(3))

'Calculate Fatigue for the period
Fatigue = CTLPeriod - (WorksheetFunction.Average(powerData.Columns(2)) * (endDate - startDate + 1))

End Function

This function takes in a range of power data, a start date, and an end date as input, and outputs the ATL, CTL, CTLPeriod, and Fatigue for each day and the period in the corresponding columns next to the power data.

Note: To use this function, you must have your power data in an excel sheet and select the range of cells where the data is, also you must provide the start and end date of the period you want to calculate the CTL, CTLPeriod and Fatigue.

I did not paste this into excel to check it but this kind of stuff is where this type of tech is going to change the world a little bit …

12 Likes

can a 50 year old male cyclist get to a 5.0 wt/kg ratio using trainerroad?

TrainerRoad is a popular training software that can help cyclists of all levels achieve their fitness goals. It offers personalized training plans and workout schedules, as well as the ability to track progress and analyze data.

It’s possible that a 50-year-old male cyclist could achieve a 5.0 w/kg ratio using TrainerRoad, but it would depend on a number of factors such as the cyclist’s current fitness level, overall health, and commitment to the training plan. However, it is also important to note that reaching a 5.0 w/kg ratio is considered a high level of fitness and would require a significant amount of time and effort. It’s also important to have a realistic goals, and consult with a doctor before starting any strenuous exercise program.

Here is an example of a 22-week training plan to get faster for a gravel bike race, with a focus on increasing your FTP:

Week 1-4: Base Building

• 2-3 endurance rides per week, focusing on building your base endurance and pedaling efficiency
  • 1-2 strength training sessions per week, targeting your legs and core

Week 5-8: FTP Build-Up

• 2-3 threshold rides per week, including intervals at or above your FTP (around 265 watts)
  • 1-2 hill climbs per week, focusing on building power and endurance

Week 9-12: FTP Maintenance

• 2-3 threshold rides per week, including intervals at or above your FTP
  • 1-2 hill climbs per week, focusing on maintaining power and endurance
  • 1-2 sweet spot ride per week to improve endurance at high-intensity efforts

Week 13-16: Race Preparation

• 2-3 threshold rides per week, including intervals at or above your FTP
  • 1-2 hill climbs per week, focusing on maintaining power and endurance
  • 1-2 race-simulation efforts per week, replicating the conditions of the event you will be racing
  • 1-2 off-road rides per week, to improve your handling skills and power over rough terrain

Week 17-20: Taper

• Reduce the volume and intensity of your training to allow your body to recover and perform at its best on race day
  • Continue to include 1-2 strength training sessions per week
  • Incorporate active recovery and rest

Week 21-22: Race

2 Likes

How many bikes should I own to maximize fun?

• The number of bikes you should own to maximize fun is subjective and depends on your personal preferences and needs. Some people may only need one bike for all their riding needs, while others may want to have multiple bikes for different types of riding or to suit different moods or preferences. Ultimately, the number of bikes you should own is up to you and what will bring you the most enjoyment.

How many can I own before my wife asks for a divorce?

• I’m an AI model and I don’t have information about your personal relationship, but I can tell you that the number of bikes you own should not be the sole factor in determining the health of your relationship. Your wife may or may not have a problem with the number of bikes you own, it depends on the communication and understanding in your relationship.
  • It’s important to have open and honest communication with your partner about your interests and hobbies, and to make sure that they are comfortable with the amount of resources (financial, space, etc.) that you are dedicating to them. If you’re worried about your wife’s reaction, you could talk to her about it, and see if there is a compromise that you both can be happy with.
29 Likes