Changing FTP mid plan

Definitely agree with @jdman above. I am a beginner FTP 232 doing SSBMV1. I am seeing that every week, the RPE of these workouts is getting easier so in my week 4 Carson workout I increased the workload by 5% and was able to finish strong. I agree that the o/u workouts have been the toughest for me and looking at the palisade numbers, it seems a whole step above what I’ve been doing up till now so rather than keeping the 5% increase, I will do the first half of that workout at regular 100% and increase by 1-3% max depending on how strong I feel, then keep that for a week or two.

For @Jahir I just wanna say that coming off such a long break that your overall fatigue is way low and also the fitness is initially going to jump up quickly (as you have seen). Taking both of these points into account, I’d say increasing the workout intensities by small increments (1-5% steady per 2 weeks) or adding some more miles in the form of 1 or 2 easy aerobic/recovery rides (this means more time on the bike though) might be some good options to keep the training stimulus high enough while minimizing risk of increasing workload too quickly. Your body may be more or less able to handle the increased training stress depending on how much/ consistently you rode in years past. I’ve only been riding by myself outside and doing group rides for 1 year now and this is what I’d say for a beginner trying TR for the first time (like myself). All that being said, I will add that the 1st week of SSB is a comparatively lighter week. The easier rides 50-70% FTP should be easy and the harder stuff in 90+% FTP should be harder but not dying to complete. I’d probably use only the harder workouts as times to judge warranting an FTP increase after holding that increase for a week or two and still feeling strong.

@route66 changing equipment, power meter, and even position d/t your new bike will definitely affect the numbers you see and thus the FTP that results on the training programs we use. With respect to the workout calculations, FTP is just a number in the formula to determine the watts of our intervals. So good on you that you adjusted it to be able to finish everything. Even though the actual FTP number might have decreased from the beginning of your block, you more than likely still gained fitness in reality since we can’t compare the FTP you started with due to all the changes you had with equipment.

Best of luck to everyone in the new year! TR and all the posts you guys put out help me in so many ways. Cheers!

2 Likes