Chain Waxing Tutorial

So… we all know that if a little of something is good, then a lot of it must be awesome. Right?

Yeah… I made that mistake on the last chain cleaning. I got interrupted mid process and forgot a chain in a jar of Simple Green. Later I remembered it was soaking, but figured it would be OK for a day or so. That turned into a week (or was it 2?). Eventually I got around to finishing the process: clean off the degreaser, soak chain a bit in mineral spirits, clean, then final rinse in denatured alcohol, etc… wax. Install. Ride.

I was 30 miles into a planned 70+ mile ride when my chain broke. I assumed it was the quick link, but upon reinstalling a quick link I noticed it was a chain link that broke. That should have been the moment I stopped to reassess and examine the chain and my situation more closely, especially since the break came under low effort. But, I missed that opportunity and set back on my way. Less than 2 miles later, snap. There goes another link. This time I pulled over, sat on a nearby picnic table and gave my chain a closer look. It was a disaster, loaded with cracks that were all ready to fail at any moment.

I’d never seen anything like it. Then again, I’d never before gave my chain a 2-week bath in Simple Green. Lesson learned!!!

This was a black Connex chain and my wax mix contains molybdenum, hence it doesn’t look so clean.
In the third photo, there’s a very visible crack in a link in the upper right side. A smaller cracks can also be seen, but not as well.