Chain skipping - new cassette and chain

Apparently a new one doesn’t either.

1 Like

Yes, thats sort of the point of this topic. But thanks anyway for your insight

Well here’s the thing: you ask for ask for help, then dismiss everyone’s suggestions (not just mine). It rather begs the question of why you bothered.

Sorry, not sure why youre so bothered by this. I did thank you for your help.

However, I havent dismissed everything. A lot of suggestions are things Ive already tried. Would it make you feel better if I tried everything in this thread again, even though Ive done most of it before posting up asking for help?

Thanks, I’ve done that and just waiting to hear back from them!

May I ask what brand/seller you used? Hoping my issue is just a one off

I’d take it to your LBS and see if they’ve got some cogs / cassette laying around. My money would be on the AliExpress cassette, just out of Occam’s razor. Swap a new cassette on and test; if it fixes it, great, you can buy the new cassette from them. With a brand new chain and (basically) new chainrings, and an Ali cassette, start with the odd one out.

EDIT to add: It’s tough to tell just by looking. The tolerances are so tight… Heck, even shift ramps on chain rings are barely noticable and they make a huge difference. The difference between a brand new and toast chain is a small amount. Even if the machining looks good, it could be off just enough.

Thanks for the info. Mine looks identical to the ztto ones except for the branded lockring, so i suspect they are the same.

Maybe i just got a bad one. Still waiting to hear back from the seller

1 Like

I have this exact same issue with a Sunshine cassette purchased on aliexpress.

I am thinking about getting the ZTTO one to test out. I also can’t see an issue with the cassette but everything else is new, and my SRAM AXS cassette works fine. I got the 2nd cheap cassette for the trainer only.

Any details you learn would be appreciated.

Shouldn’t the topic headline be called Chain skipping on a knockoff $4 cassette and chain direct ordered from China

3 Likes

no

I’m still waiting for them to refund/replace. I’ll keep you updated.

A lot of the aliexpress ones look the same, just with different branding on so I suspect they’re made by the same factory.

Thanks that’s good advice and proves that it isn’t always the obvious culprit!

I’ve tried playing around with a variety of set ups, all of which work fine with a different cassette and skip with this cassette.

Just get a legit cassette and be done with it, what a penny wise and pound foolish adventure

2 Likes

Thanks but I already have a legit cassette.

Plenty of good aftermarket cassettes out there.

Now hopefully other people can benefit from the experience I’ve gained and shared, which is more than I can say for your “contribution” to this topic.

1 Like

As I was doing some reading and research into chains, I saw that the Eagle/AXS chains use oversized rollers. I guess the R&D teams over at Generic China Cassette Company missed the memo, I’d bet the rollers aren’t seating properly and skipping as a result, like they would with a worn out elongated chain

Buy once, cry once.

1 Like

Interesting. I didn’t know that. Certainly sounds like a possiblity although I wonder why that issue would only manifest in 2 gears of the cassette.

Not out of the question they’d be machined unevenly. Also probably has to do with how load is distributed with chain wrap around the cog. Larger cogs wrap around more teeth for more grip, smaller cogs should be harder to skip cause chain wrap is tighter. I would think it’d skip in the middle gears

1 Like

From this article: How to check for chain wear: The easy way, the best way, and why - CyclingTips

“ SRAM chains are one clear exception to using these suggested tools. Most chains on the market start with a roller that’s 7.63-7.65mm in outside diameter. SRAM’s chains are larger — for example, rollers from a Red 22 chain are 7.69-7.70mm, while an Eagle 12-speed chain uses rollers that measure 7.72mm. And SRAM’s new Flat-Top chain as part of the Road AXS groups is larger again (7.90mm).”

1 Like

What did the seller have to say about it?

They finally agreed to send a replacement.

I should have it in the next few days

3 Likes