Carrying fluid on race day

I’ll be back at WW100K this year. This is my first event of the year, I’m in MUCH better shape and on a much lighter bike than last year, but really treating it as a practice and training event.

There’s an aid station with drop bags allowed at the turn-around, you need to drop off bags the night before. I personally am probably going to be in the 5 hour ballpark, so depending on weather I’m going to try using that as my only stop. I’ll refill on water and use pre-mixed powder, and pick up my extra gels there.

I don’t think about water in weight, I convert it to Liters when I test because that’s what I’m taking in. I personally need roughly a Liter an hour at 60 degrees, cool and dry. So, I’m looking at needing roughly 2.5L per leg, maybe more. I’m going to carry a 2L USWE backpack, and a 1L bottle. If the weather’s hot, I may end up carrying a second bottle.

I also need roughly 1000 mg/L of sodium, maybe a little more. I don’t see residue either to be honest.

Fueling for me is 100-120 g/hour. I’m going for mostly liquid, 50/50 mix of fructose/malto powder. But will do the last 20 g/ hour via gels in case my stomach isn’t feeling it and I want to ratchet it back some.

For those that don’t know WW100K, lots of climbing too. Mixture of pavement, lots of dirt two-track, very little single track. They got rid of the crappy single track at the end because they’re not using whiteface this year.

3 Likes