Canyon Speedmax 2021

It certainly isn’t a looker.

The frame is giving me Cervelo P5 (2015) vibes:

Agreed - the hydration system looks really cool and a pretty smart solution with the magnetised top/staw to make refilling easy.

The price increase is pretty steep though, it’s about £2k more than the previous SLX for the equivalent model.

Looking at the top end model, I‘d really look at the Dura Ace one. It is €2,000 less expensive and has the faster/ more stable wheels (DT Swiss Dicut 1100 dB). I have seen test where they clearly outperform the 858 and from personal experience, they are a lot more stable.

1 Like

Oh man - been holding off this for a while… but it looks so odd

They will keep selling the previous rim-brake version for the same price as before.

Well, their price before was cheap in comparison to others, so that alone allows them to what they do. The Scott equivalent is €3,000 with the same set of wheels…

I think they are still a lot of bang for the buck, specially the entry level models, compared to other brands.

1 Like

There are enough manufacturers jacking up prices at the moment to make me think the supply side issues they’re all citing are genuine. Don’t believe there is collusion or price fixing - too many players from too many different countries, and the barrier to entry for a new player to disrupt the market if it was fixed is relatively low (Canyon have gone from start-up to one of the biggest manufacturers in less than 20 years doing exactly that).

In other words - I don’t think Canyon are just jacking up prices because they think they can get away with it and buy themselves a new corporate jet, I think they’re being forced up because their costs have gone up and/or the number of bikes they can get to market has gone down (meaning they need more margin on each bike to stay in the black). Specialized hiked their prices with the release of the 2021 models earlier in the summer, and then hiked them again 2 weeks ago, so I’d be surprised if Canyon aren’t still cheaper on equivalent specs. Don’t know about Cervelo pricing, if they’re one of the companies that hasn’t put prices up yet then I guess you may well find there’s an availability issue instead!

2 Likes

I only have Specialized and Orbea in my LBS, neither have attractive options for entry/mid level triathlon bikes. Nothing that compares even with the previous model speedmax.

I’ve found some good deals on the Cervelo p series. Will be getting that instead of this new speedmax now i think.

1 Like

Fully agree that if you can get an equivalent quality and specced bike from your LBS with all the frills that might include in terms of fitting, swapping out parts, dropping by the shop for a quick adjustment, etc then you should go for it. My point though is that further price hikes and/or lack of availability may well mean those opportunities turn out to be scarce or short-lived so if you have one I would move fast!

1 Like

Interesting upgrade. That is a good move by Canyon:

1 Like

Disappointed here. No UCI legal version and £££££££. Does seem crazy that I bought a Di2 Aeroad Aeroad SLX with 60mm wheels just a few years ago for £3k.

No doubt supply issues have played a part, but I suspect it’s more that they want to sell you a fully fledged “race ready” bike so they are laying in everything - deep wheels, power meter etc plus the switch to disc brakes. It all makes costs go up, but they don’t like to sell you just a frame to build up to your own spec as margins are lower.

1 Like

UCI legal version will be released before racing starts again.
Also has to be a different frame, because this time round, the tubes are actually UCI-illegal.

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t bother and just continued using the old model for UCI legal. The below page on the website shows that this model is being restocked at the start of December, implying that they are still producing it.

I would guess that there isn’t much of a market for a UCI-legal version (at least based on the UK market), in the UK I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen another Canyon at a club time trial. People tend to stick to Giant Trinity / Cervelo etc.

UK market isn’t the only market. In Germany, everyone and their grandma has a Canyon, and the people who TT usually have the Speedmax (TT)…
There will be UCI legal new version, it is even announced.

I didn’t see they had announced it? I asked on Canyon live chat this morning and they said there wasn’t a UCI version.

Of course, they’ll need to have something for their pro teams. But I haven’t seen anything official on it

I mean.
They still have great value compare to anyone.
Disk brakes, electronic shifters, race wheels AND a power meter.
Granted, this all comes to a huge price increase. From 5000 for the old bike to 6000 for the new version.
Speed Concept STARTS at 4100 without race wheels, disk brakes or electronic shifting. Adding wheels and electronic shifting suddenly makes this bike a 7800 bike. And you still need a power meter.

It does sucks to some level.
But you can still get the older bike for 4500 without pm or disk wheels.

Does anyone see a way to adjust reach?
It looks pretty static to me

• Canyon V21 Stem Medium
  • Material: Aluminum
  • Length: 80 mm
  • 1 x Canyon V21 medium stem
  • Install hardware

you probably will need to buy a canyon specific stem. :man_shrugging: