Can't find denatured alcohol in Canada, best alternative?

Sorry I can’t really say the exact formula. I do know that the wax gets a bit too flaky when you don’t add the oil. It will still get flaky but the flakes drop off soon enough. I hang it on an old hanger in the garage till it cools. I can’t really tell much difference between commercial wax In a bottle that dries on and paraffin. Apparently the paraffin gets slightly better performance.

Your inter nerd can experiment like crazy with all sorts of things like blending in Teflon powder (I haven’t tried it).

Curious to hear what you ended up using? I’m also in Canada (Vancouver), and trying to find the same products seems difficult.
P.S. sorry for zombie thread revival…

So i could just use high proof sprits?

I use straight paraffin wax with teflon powder. Get very good chain life and quiet ride. I had about 500 miles on a chain that then lasted me over 2000 miles on a cross country trip last summer. I’m still on the chain I replaced it with.

I did lot’s of digging arund on this and after going through the documentation on Zero Friction Cycling I ended up doing bathes of Mineral Spirits and 90%+ Isopropyl Alcohol.

The mineral spirits can be found at Canadian Tire and the Isopropyl Alcohol can really be found anywhere (just make sure its not the 70% stuff but 90% or more).

End result is fantastic!

Fair enough, iso was going to be my choice if there was no alternative. I was just hoping there would be something that was (relative to mineral spirits) reasonably similar in price.
How many iso baths did you have to do to get the results you were after?

On a new chain I would do 2/3 mineral spirit baths + 2 iso bathes.

I’m sold on using UFO Clean, this is info from the Zero Friction test report of UFO Lube v2.2:

and

This is the on bike procedure I follow:

Initial removal of factory grease takes about 2-3 passes, about 20-30 minutes. Non toxic and environmentally friendly :+1:

Yeah I have a 2’ x 3’ floor pan, the kind you put under an old car to catch engine drips. Our city hand out half gallon used oil bottles, and picks up curbside. That stops most of the junk from getting into waterways.

Buy your mineral spirits at a paint store, much cheaper than the hardware stores/Canadian Tire.

1 Like