Bike security/theft prevention

@Johnnyvee, could you possibly expand on some of the specifics of your scheme (including the positioning you allude to in order to impede access for grinders etc), and the chains/locks you decided to go for?

I intend to speak to Steve at Pragmasis regarding an order I’m teeing up but would welcome extra input, including what if anything you might’ve done differently having the benefit of hindsight.

Maybe PM me if you don’t want it plastered over the forum?

Cheers.

Obscured polycarbonate sheet is an option to consider for any windows.

There are other products out there with better GPS.

I’m sure you’ll find those concentrated in specific areas where citizens aren’t allowed to do anything but call police for help

What about a monitored alarm system? Maybe they could even add a sensor to your shed. Adds a little piece of mind.

No, its not cut proof. There is basically nothing you can buy that a reasonable angle grinder cant cut. Even if you made a magic cut proof cable, the concrete and brick cuts just fine.

The answer is insurance, inside and out of sight. A dog with a big noise never hurt anything either. Our dane is a big baby but she makes a woof that will cause pause in many. For whatever reason people fear dogs more than humans in many cases.

Fwiw, my $100 says it was the construction people. Was all their stuff stolen? Cause tools are WaaAaaAay easier to fence than expensive bikes. People target construction sites for just this reason, its a constant battle. If their stuff was not touched that is way suspect.

1 Like

Just the thread I wanted to read…

In the middle of building a massive shed in the garden so we can have the spare bedroom back as a room

Now I’m considering making the other half put her clothes in said shed so I can keep the room as is

I was thinking of reinforcing the doors and putting bars accross with padlocks
Something extremely loud inside on a sensor

Bikes locked inside a box ( 3"x2" and inch ply ) and then a ground anchor with chains around the bikes

3 sets of locks with loud noises going off

I know its not completely safe but surely that’s enough of a deterent/ inconvenience

I used live in Chicago. Had 2 bikes and my bike rack stolen from my garage. I had my car stolen. And an attempted break-in.

I live in a mountain town in Colorado now. Pretty much no crime here.

1 Like

People in Chicago have no Tegridy

I think the sad, sorry truth is that if somebody wants your bikes, they’ll take them.

Personally I read my insurance policy very carefully and then ensure I adhere to their specifications. This summer, I fitted ground anchors in our garage. Purchased two Gold Standard motorcycle chains with matching padlocks. I photographed the anchors/chains and kept all of the packaging. The keys are not kept anywhere near the padlocks. All of my drills and cutting tools are kept locked in a separate part of the garage.

I know in my heart-of-hearts I’ve done as much as I can to deter a thief taking my bikes from my home. It wouldn’t be easy but if someone really wanted them, they’d be gone. So I researched reputable insurance companies.

To be honest, I think I’m more likely to have my bike(s) stolen whilst I’m out riding. That has started to become a thing in recent times.

1 Like

Annoying as it is covering the windows is a key part. Not being able to see inside helps prevent this whole thing I guess.

Yeah im going to put some sort of obscure window/ blinds over them so I can still have natural light while training

This is something I’ve really been thinking about after finally buying a bike that would hurt me to lose after so many years of riding cheap bikes. I’m not too worried about serious thieves with bolt cutters and angle grinders, but my wife has a bad habit of leaving the garage door open on accident. It would only take a few seconds for an enterprising neighborhood kid to see the bikes hanging there and ride off with one of the bikes.

The plan I’ve been thinking about is to drill some anchors into the concrete and run a cable through the frames. Obviously this would be easy to defeat with some tools, but I’m not too worried about that where I live.

In your case I’d look at some way to track that the door is open.

Great post, thanks man.

Keep up the fight!

Our old house had a separate garage and I was scared to store my bikes in there. It was a PITA but I kept them in the basement under the house.

What I used to think about building was a hidden storage closet inside the garage. Set up some kind of false wall with a hidden door camouflaged by garden tools…

My other idea was storing the bikes in the rafters, hoisted by a pulley system.

I think you’d at minimum need cameras plus an alarm as deterrents. The cameras make them think twice about breaking in because they have already been caught on camera. The blaring alarm hopefully encourages them to run away immediately after they break in…

1 Like

If anyone is interested the Hiplok Airlok Duo pack in grey has been reduced to £200 from £270 for Black Friday.

1 Like

Use security alarms for your bike and also with the help of a mobile locksmith install a high-security lock on your bike that won’t easily break in.

I have this bottle cage and an air tag for my bike when I’m not doing any racing. It’s not great for race pace when you need to easily find the bottle cage. I’ve tried it during hard workouts.
It’s great for daily riding and everyday leaving the bike at home.