Big vs Small Riders?

Magnus bagsted breaks the rules

1 Like

Agreed on the big guy thing being an advantage only to a point. I’m 6’6" with a functional FTP around 320. I can put the hurt on the little guys on flats and on false flats (up and down). But I have to be strategic about it. If I just TT on the front, then it does nothing, because the little guys who have decent FTP’s can just sit in the GIGANTIC hole that I punch through the air. But if I wait for the pace to slow a bit and then blast off the front with a big attack, they have to hurt themselves quite a bit to chase me back. =D

1 Like

Hmm. I haven’t been medium since junior year in high school and I was kinda skinny at 6’ 1" although I gotta say Megatron sounds better than Clydesdale :joy:

1 Like

I’m 5’5" and 160lbs, so I’m like nano size :rofl:

1 Like

It sure does. “Megaton Smash!!!”

2 Likes

Yep, I’m definitely not a fan of Clydesdale as a designation.

Based on my experience riding with big powerful riders, it is totally wrong. A big slow horse. Whomever came up with it was straight up deluded.

Big powerful riders are not slow, they are the power houses of any peloton or group ride. Yes, maybe on a 20% climb. However, that’s pretty rare really. All the remaining time, all the flat, all the false flat, all the downs and all the rollers. Big riders crush.

I’d absolutely prefer to roll with the big boys/girls. They are the engine.

So many people are just so fixated on weight. I totally get it. I’m as guilty as anyone else. I have however, really come to understand that, unless you live in a very mountainous area. Or, absolutely love climbing…

Watts win races!

I think we should bin the term Clydesdale permanently. Can you imagine using a similar term to describe a woman? We’d be shot, and we’d deserve it.

1 Like

We NEED to make this the industry standard sizing - including the titles! I am just a ‘small’

1 Like

I’m 6’3 and my day-to-day range is 74-76kg. No wonder I struggle to find cycling clothes that fit well. I sent back some M Assos bibs that fit nicely around my body, but I stretched them lengthways so much, the straps were coming unstitched.

I’ll create a new size category one of my former co-workers gave me: “lanky streak of piss” :rofl:

Power is OK, and I must be a good draft though!

3 Likes

Since the biggest group gets a special superhero-ish name, can we change nano to like Ant-man or something?

Also, I’m going to make sure I don’t lose this one 1.5 kilos so I’m just “small”

1 Like

Ninja instead of Nano?

1 Like

I like ninja!

1 Like

I think the massive caveat to small vs big is that it’s only a reasonable comparison if you’re talking similar fitness levels for their size. E.g. you’re comparing a 90th percentile 100kg guy to a 90th percentile 65kg guy. Guys who just have significantly better genetics and/or training than the people they’re riding against are going to crush it on most terrains regardless of size. Your 100kg friend sounds like one of those guys. I have a 65kg friend who is also one of those guys. Great genetics, years of training big volume, and ultra-competitive. Yes he crushes almost everybody on the hills. But on flats and TTs he also crushes most people other than the big guys who are right up there themselves in terms of training and ability.

5 Likes

Hate you. Just spat out my coffee in public from laughing.

1 Like

I like megatrons, but personally have been calling this category Beefcakes.

1 Like

feeling like I’m in an awkward 'tweener category between Megatron (weight) and Big (height). Cyclists think I look like a lifter, and lifters think I look like a cyclist. My current happy place is desperately racing against Father Time and trying to outride the lifters, and outlift the cyclists.

6 Likes

If only they added deadlifts at the bottom of climbs

4 Likes

Wait a second, you don’t deadlift at the bottom of climbs?

7 Likes

When your as thicc as me, Riding over the climb is a deadlift

3 Likes

Until an 8% gradient then we are flying! Unfortunately there is basically no sustained steep climbs around me :frowning:

1 Like

Look at the data on grand tour winners……big guys do not have an advantage!

Joe