Big FTP bumps at high level of fitness

Yes ive got a stages powermeter. Earlier this year i did a lot of outdoor workouts with trainer road and found that i was able to reproduce myramp test ftp.

1 Like

I am surprised to see a big jump considering the level youā€™re already at but thereā€™s only one way to find out.
Donā€™t be afraid on the new number, as after all, thatā€™s all it is.
If you can replicate the workouts when using the trainer and another PM then carry then the result must be pretty accurate.

1 Like

I took 2 weeks off and my FTP fell 10W :cry:

1 Like

So time for the two weeks update, if you are interested in the progress.

Managed to complete the first week ok. Managed to push through all the workouts without reducing any intensity. Then my son got sickā€¦ so i got sick aswell. Did nothig for the whole of last week. Felt great again on saturday but didnt want to risk amything so i waited until today and did the prescribed ramp test. Got 419W so i am quite pleased with my recovery. 8w is an absolutely acceptable loss. Looking forward to the spblwā€¦

An 8w loss at 400+ isnā€™t even 2%.

Keep crushing it!

Oh, and IMHO I wouldnā€™t even bother looking at w/kg. Work on your aero position and just kill it on the flats.

1 Like

Well done on the ramp test and on the subsequent training.

For others in similar situations in the futureā€¦ If there is any doubt in your mind that the results of the ramp test are inaccurate you should probably do another one - they are not THAT stressful on the body (in terms of TSS) but failing a bunch of workouts using an overestimated FTP plays havoc on the mind.

I always try to have my Garmin Vectors recording when I do my ramp tests for this exact reason - the trainer might have calibrated poorly and a secondary power reading will help. Iā€™d suggest using your stages PM in the same way.

1 Like