Best place in U.S. for year round road riding?

Greenville and Chattanooga still get very hot and humid in the summer. Asheville and other parts of the NC highlands are really nice. 50-100 years ago (pre- AC), all the wealthy families in Atlanta left the city to go to Highlands NC for the summer.

1 Like

We are planning to stay in the mountain west. We did check out Nashville last year.

2 Likes

About OP, one thing I found helps to ride yearlong in normal conditions is being near a wide range of elevations. Here in Bend OR without using my car i can easily ride between 2800’ and 6000’ So if it’s hot, go up, if it’s cold go low. You can ride during the winter by avoiding the high elevations.

Unlike San Diego, it’s not mediterranean, it’s high desert here so we get seasons. I’ve live in Dallas and suffered from the heat. Starting a ride at 4am in AZ or TX does not work for me.

With such criteria (Mediterranean climate in the USA outside Colorado river basin)
I think @WindWarrior is headed to Hawaii.

3 Likes

I’m somewhat giving up on climate. We are probably moving to Idaho. Happy wife, happy life.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure we’ll retire in Boulder. Watching the housing market closely.

I’ve been in north ID (Coeur d Alene) for the past 6-7 years. Good riding and I can ride outside (if you dress warm enough) 9 months out of the year. Though actually if you have a fat bike you could go year around and ride on XC ski trails during the snow season.

The Boise area has some good riding as well. It has more sunny days and the winters are not quite as cold

3 Likes

Beautiful area up there, a little too remote for us plus a couple in-laws are moving to Boise, we have a niece and friends in Boise, and my oldest is planning to move to Montana for a few years. Boise weather is nice, riding is acceptable, and family matters to us.

2 Likes

I grew up in northern lower MI. Attended the University of Colorado Boulder and lived there for a few years after. Spent many summers in Hood River, OR. Lived/worked in St. Louis, MO, Greenville, SC; Vero Beach, FL and currently reside in Phoenix, AZ. I regularly fly to every part of the US including four of the Hawaiian Islands. Each was/is beautiful and offered some amazing road and dirt riding. However…

My answer is in or around Santa Rosa, CA or around San Diego or areas south of San Jose, CA. Boulder would be a close second but, due to the (albeit mild winters) riding up in the canyons to the Peak to Peak would just be a bit cold road riding. Do able but, not as nice as California. Riding out east would add some days but, from the little I’ve done out there it’s not anything special. Still cold when it’s cold. Sometimes colder. Sometimes warmer as the Chinooks are amazing and warm the front range effectively, however, are not a clock work feature.

Will be trying to retire in Boulder. Been trying to get back since the 90’s. Like @Pbase we are watch housing. Zillow is addictive…

4 Likes

Thousand Oaks / Westlake area or San Francisco. Both have year round riding weather and many road and off-road cycling routes

2 Likes

Fastest I have ever gone on a bike was 56mph down a hill near Ocala, Fl….and I lived in CO for 7 years, too!!

2 Likes

Los Gatos, CA or Palo Alto. Best weather ever.

2 Likes

San Diego CA end of story. Maybe the Bay Area for more roads/routes at the cost of temps.
You’ve got hills, flats, road, trails, riding buddies, and a variety of day trips.

5 Likes

It’s definitely CA, and it’s not really much of a discussion. Bay Area or SD you can ride all year, and there are comparatively lots of rises/races. To me, best year round cycling is about moderate temps, and Florida, Tuscon, and even NC don’t offer that.

2 Likes

I grew up in California believing there couldn’t possibly be a better place to live. I’m really glad I don’t live there anymore for a number of reasons, but if my only goal was to have excellent year-round riding then I’d definitely go back.

Might take some thought to figure out exactly where in the state though. Got to think about what traffic/heat/drought/smoke is going to be like over the next 5-10 years, which might make me choose somewhere very different than I would have 20 years ago. Phil Gaimon might have it sussed in Westlake/TO/Malibu - coastal/distant enough from LA to avoid the worst heat/smog/traffic, and even though wildfires are coming more often, there are no forests of big trees to burn for weeks on end. If not there I might go North of SF to chase cooler temperatures and less drought at the expense of having to carry a waterproof a few more times a year.

4 Likes

By earlier in the day, do you mean 6am? lol I think you get used to it to some extent. But it quickly gets stifling. I don’t live in Florida anymore but that’s where I got used to getting up no later than 5am to start rides at 6am.

1 Like

Because we also have wind!

:slight_smile:

Yeah, I know he (Phil) says smog and traffic aren’t bad where he is, but I’ve spent time down there and I’m sceptical. Somewhere like Mill Valley would would be stupid good (and stupid expensive) to live and ride.

3 Likes

Tucson area. I loved cycling just south of there. Hottest day I rode it was 108F. It really didn’t feel all that uncomfortable. I never felt the need to start at 4:30 am but if you don’t like the heat you could start around 6:00 am or a little later.
Move there between November and January and start riding regularly and by the time the summer arrives you will be well acclimated.
I miss the opportunity to be there.

2 Likes

Oof. Idk. I was there for the ironman and thought the riding was abysmal. Why would I want to ride on a highway?

1 Like

Heads Carolinas, Tails California.

Lived in both places, three locations (San Diego, SF Bay, RTP in NC) and they were all great for year round outside stuff. But I wouldn’t pick either. California’s pluses and minuses are well established. Carolina’s have different issues.

What I would do if outdoor activity was my #1, #2 and #3 priorities is to base in Park City, Utah. Bike, hike, ski are obvious. But there are also water sports on the big lakes. Rock climbing. Fishing and hunting and such if you like that stuff.

Cyclists often take to XC skiing (or backcountry skiing) for the winter months. That’s a great alternative to pedaling.

From PC, you are 3.5 - 4.0 hour drive to Moab or St George or Cedar City. Cedar City is home of the Utah Belgian Waffle Ride.

If I were a bachelor, would have a home in PC (or a surrounding town like Kamas or Heber to save some $$$) and a camper van or small RV. 85% of the time PC has everything I want. But for those other 15%, get out and drive somewhere cool to explore (and warm up).

FWIW… if you want that sort of lifestyle based around outdoor activities and cool places to do stuff, it’s effective to have one home to base out of and then rent something at a destination for 1-2 months. You pick your awesome “base” location and then can enjoy different other places each year.

Get out there and live the dream y’all!!!

1 Like