Are over-under workouts suppose to be this hard?

Yes i’m new to this. Before TR i’m doing 3months of polarized training with zwift. It’s lot of z2 (about 12-13hr/week) and one session of 2x20 or vo2 max interval. I thought that i can handle the HV because the amount of tss per week is as much as my tss before (±600/week). But it’s differnt. I’m fine with 4 weeks on 1 rest with the polarized but not with the SSB HV. Maybe it’s why one said that not all tss created equal.

My recommendation. If you are new to TR, don’t do HV. Seriously. Do SSB 1 LV then SSB 2 MV and see how you feel. If you want to ride mode, add in Zone 2 endurance rides.

1 Like

It does depend, HV is all SS and I didn’t find it an issue when I did it…I have less time now. MV is less time but there are some tough o/u and VO2 work in there which I actually find harder…but then I am a bit of a diesel and like 50m TT. However, SPBHV killed me when I tried that so if anyone is struggling with the base maybe it is time to bail before one of the HV build programmes homes into view! :grimacing: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

600TSS of mainly Z2 and 600TSS of Sweetspot are very different in terms of fatigue. Maybe try mid volume, or put together a block of your own depending on your goals.

2 Likes

I did Fang Mtn +1 today. It was my best performance for an over-under workout yet. But, shazam! - was it hard. I was glad when it was over!
-Hugh

1 Like

I used to dread over-unders, but now they are my favorite workouts! no joke!

a few things that helped along the way

1. accurate FTP: being someone who tests a higher on the ramp test, doing the KM longer FTP test has really helped set me up for success with over-unders. As said on the empirical cycling podcast regarding why over unders are so hard for some people…“really over and then kinda over”.

2. the mental side: over-unders are tough, but learn to feel the lactate build up and know that near the end of the under section you’ll be ok! generally over-unders change pace every 1-2mins, this really helps break up the longer intervals, I used to be stucks on 8 min threshold sets, now I can do 16-20 minute intervals without dreading things!

3. Fuel well prior! carbs carbs carbs!

3 Likes

So just as a headsup, i have also heard of people using “hard start” style FTP intervals, as a way of getting some glycolis / lactate production going, on the theory that it helps stimulate the body to build up the required plumbing to shuttle and buffer (I think the theory is that the presence of this extra lactate while you’re working hard but also long will induce your body to make those transporters that take it out of muscles where there’s too much and into muscles that can use and force it into the Krebs cycle).

This could conceivably be an easier way of dipping a toe before doing true over-unders. If it works, maybe it makes them easier for people.