Anyone Work a Side Gig to Fund Your Cycling "Habit?"

If you post enough (here, Instagram, blogs, forums, anywhere), you can put Amazon Affiliate links (its just a separate link you grab off amazon from bar they add to your account) Amazon Sign-In links in your messages.

You’ve got put some note in your message about the affiliate link now, but it’s good for about $25/mo if you’ve got enough posts out there. That pays for part replacements.

I quit doing this when the rules kicked in because I didn’t want to get in any trouble. If someone is going to buy something you’re suggesting, you might as well make $.50 off of it… or anything else they buy.

$7 on a set of pedals… or $48 off a pair of Ferrari o2 sensors (PSA - note all 02 sensor are the same except fro the cable length)

1 Like

Good lord… color me green.

I am a mild to rabid motorsports guy from time to time. Spent decades racing sims with much LOVE for sports cars & road courses in particular. I have considered diving into “real” racing with autocross, but it makes cycling look like a chump change sport by comparison. I will likely stick with virtual driving, but there is nothing like ripping a real car around at the limits :smiley:

1 Like

Cant you bike the track afterhours / AMs? I thought these weekend crew gigs didn’t really pay till you hit top level (travel & stipend only)
I used to live in Indy; my impression from the full-time team engineers on the second biggest team Indy car team back in 2000-ish that they barely made a full time wage outside of the primary engineer.

It would not pay well enough as a full time job. But definitely my only hobby, were I am good enough to get paid :laughing:. I think if you can do 3 series in parallel (30-40 race weekends), you can live from it, if you have no expensive life. As these series are run together with others series (F1 sometimes, or GT Masters), our track time is not so high on race weekends (compared to test days, were you barely can eat more than a sandwich over lunch…). The tracks are normally open to cardholders from 7p.m. I remember the Silvestone track on the f1 weekend. I would say they were at least 50 cyclists and 100 runners on the track.

I really love it, but from May to early August it’s a lot of work and traveling :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Word - hear that :sweat_smile:

The two kids is what gets me right now - middle school can’t come soon enough :rofl:

I just need to figure out what job affords me bikes as well as time during the week day to go ride!

1 Like

I’m a uni student, so I do a lot of paid psych studies and medical trials. Not huge money by any means, but it’s a pretty painless way to do it and it makes a difference given I’m fairly low budget to begin with. Won’t be buying a pinarello anytime soon, but I’ve saved up for a few nice little upgrades that I couldn’t justify otherwise.

Also have a few friends who do some minor crypto trading.

2 Likes

I DJ’ed for years on end, sometimes around Europe but mainly in my home country. Had two residencies which kept me busy and paid well during uni. I played house music.

I occasionally did select private gigs, individuals throwing ridiculous parties, weddings, 50 yo celebrations, stuff like that. It paid superb but I’ve always disliked playing hit music.

Occasionally I’m getting requests (which I’ve so far declined) from old punters who’ve grown up, and now are getting married. Three gigs and I’d have a new S-Works frame. I’m considering taking on a few gigs in the future as I still have DJ-equipment at home.

Nice thread! Got me thinking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Our PT clinic is open on Saturdays (8a-12p). I’ll pick up 1-2 shifts/month depending on gear needs and/or whether I have a gravel race that day

3 Likes

I build race cars in my garage at home.

6 Likes

I teach indoor cycling :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

My nephews and some of their friends make a ridiculous amount of money (per hour relative to regular job) boosting for a couple of video games they’ve mastered over thousands of hours of playing time.

I’m sure there’s a market for Zwift boosters, Strava boosters.

Not sure why anyone would hire a TR booster but the power of self deception can’t be underestimated.

1 Like

I really wanted to start a tour guide gig. I was going to start getting more local knowledge (besides what I already had). But I am just way too introverted for it.

What do you mean by “boosting?”

Boosting = hiring an expert player to play under your game account to level you up. Note I am not a gamer so I probably have the terminology wrong. So like hiring someone with a much higher FTP and racing skills to win some Zwift races to move you up a category, or to get some Strava KOMs under your name.

2 Likes

Does working on a connect iq data field to get free tech count? (Also doing it cause I feel like the data from the tech could improve fitness science if the data was easier to deal with)

1 Like

Not so much a side gig, I’m a painter by trade.

That said, when I want to spend money on bike parts etc. it’s generally only money I make working side jobs evenings and weekends that I get to set some side to fund my cycling and triathlon habit.

And honestly the last couple years, a lot has actually been work in trade. I’ll get some stuff from the bike shop, and then they’ll hire me to do some work, and we’ll sort out the balance either way in the end.

So far I’ve come out slightly ahead even after bike parts lol!

4 Likes

Best I could do is move them from Cat E to Cat D. :rofl: :cry:

1 Like

Just out of interest, does anyone on here (UK based) work as a ‘VeloGuide’ via their official route and of so what’s the view? (Worth it? / frequent work? / easy to deal with? / good employer et c?)

1 Like

Side gig wouldn’t cut it, this endeavor requires my full financial efforts :joy:

3 Likes